PADI Open Water Diver DVD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We tried to loan out the DVD years ago, did not work out. Only takes a couple of bad apples to ruin the bunch. We required student to own DVD as it is required to view by standards. Cost to them is $40. Crewpack with log,text book, eRDPml $67.

Yup, and by them watching it in the classroom as a group we can confirm that they have watched it.

They say that I have to watch it before the class. They wanted me to pay 25 to rent it or 50 to own it.
They gave me the rest of the class material for free.

Yup, and by them watching it in the classroom as a group we can confirm that they have watched it.
Thought about it but takes time.. We expect that if we treat them as responsible people they do as they should and watch DVD at home on their own time. If not it's their fault if they cannot pass quiz or exams.
As it is a presentation, knowledge review, quiz can take 60 -90 minutes. Multiply that 5 times for each module.
Then we have 90-120 minutes in pool for each of the 5 modules.
Rather be more productive with our time and have students come in more prepared.
We manage to complete ow academics and pool in one weekend. Friday 7 pm to 11 pm module 1, Saturday 9am to 4 pm module 2-3, Sunday 9 am to 4 pm module 4-5.

Our shop apparently was very good about loaning them out from what I recall. I think I've got a copy of all my courses from OW through DM. I do watch one maybe once a year--watching something one time during a course is not the best way for me. Try to even copy a game or movie to disc today. But, you can still copy stuff to VHS tapes--guess they figure no one has these anymore.

Thought about it but takes time.. We expect that if we treat them as responsible people they do as they should and watch DVD at home on their own time. If not it's their fault if they cannot pass quiz or exams.
As it is a presentation, knowledge review, quiz can take 60 -90 minutes. Multiply that 5 times for each module.
Then we have 90-120 minutes in pool for each of the 5 modules.
Rather be more productive with our time and have students come in more prepared.
We manage to complete ow academics and pool in one weekend. Friday 7 pm to 11 pm module 1, Saturday 9am to 4 pm module 2-3, Sunday 9 am to 4 pm module 4-5.

Nice. We still get 10 plus hours in the pool, so not to worry. Time watching videos in the class is not wasted...lots of time for comments and questions while they are watching it.

They say that I have to watch it before the class. They wanted me to pay 25 to rent it or 50 to own it..

Pay to rent it? Is that even allowable under the PADI licensing??? I've never heard of a dive center doing that.

Do you have to pay extra to have the lights on in the classroom also?

They gave me the rest of the class material for free.

....and that sounds odd. Because the PADI manual IS compulsory AND costly. It also comes with the shop credit for your certification fee.....

My advice... do check that there aren't MORE hidden costs later...

(btw, they are NOT allowed to loan you a manual.... that's the ONE thing you do have to buy..)

Pay to rent it? Is that even allowable under the PADI licensing??? I've never heard of a dive center doing that.

Do you have to pay extra to have the lights on in the classroom also?

....and that sounds odd. Because the PADI manual IS compulsory AND costly. It also comes with the shop credit for your certification fee.....

My advice... do check that there aren't MORE hidden costs later...

(btw, they are NOT allowed to loan you a manual.... that's the ONE thing you do have to buy..)
Yes text is required to be owned by standards, here in the states it does not come with a credit for pic's. We sell students crewpack with text,log book, eRDPml for $67 plus $40 for DVD.
Facility Rebecca is at may include crewpack in their tuition fee.

I've never heard of anyone renting a dvd for a charge - my shop that did my OW let me barrow it for nothing. That's interesting. However if that's what they require and you have already paid the rest - you may as well just do it. :( Good Luck! I hope you enjoy scuba diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom