PADI Nitrox or TDI Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you already have a NitrOx cert, go do TDI's extended range or the equivalent from any of the alphabet soup agencies. Justy make sure you get a competent instructor and not just a FIGJAM.

For clarity, there are three Nitrox courses offered by SDI/TDI:
  • SDI Computer Nitrox: up to 40%, using a computer
  • TDI Nitrox: up to 40%, using tables and computers
  • TDI Advanced Nitrox (TDI Nitrox or equivalent is a prereq): up to 100%, 4 dives up to 40m, no deco
PADI Nitrox is "equivalent" to TDI Nitrox, but tables are optional rather than required.

If a student intends to go on to technical training, or really likes nitty-gritty material, then TDI Nitrox is probably the way to go...if the instructor is also a technical instructor. If a student wants minimal info and just the lowest level cert that will allow the use of Nitrox, then SDI Nitrox is probably the way to go.

Historical Note: The original PADI course was in-between TDI Nitrox and TDI Advanced Nitrox. It had 2 dives required and considerable use of tables and math, but was only up to 40%. The 2-dive requirement was dropped in 2006, and computers were allowed as of 2009.

For clarity, there are three Nitrox courses offered by SDI/TDI:
  • SDI Computer Nitrox: up to 40%, using a computer
  • TDI Nitrox: up to 40%, using tables and computers
  • TDI Advanced Nitrox (TDI Nitrox or equivalent is a prereq): up to 100%, 4 dives up to 40m, no deco
PADI Nitrox is "equivalent" to TDI Nitrox, but tables are optional rather than required.

If a student intends to go on to technical training, or really likes nitty-gritty material, then TDI Nitrox is probably the way to go...if the instructor is also a technical instructor. If a student wants minimal info and just the lowest level cert that will allow the use of Nitrox, then SDI Nitrox is probably the way to go.

Historical Note: The original PADI course was in-between TDI Nitrox and TDI Advanced Nitrox. It had 2 dives required and considerable use of tables and math, but was only up to 40%. The 2-dive requirement was dropped in 2006, and computers were allowed as of 2009.
Yep, when I did the PADI course, we had to use tables (no computers) and do the 2 dives. I did the course with a couple others who, like myself were recreational "vacation divers". Our instructor taught us all of the PADI required material and we had to pass the PADI required test, but he also showed us "This is how you will do it in practice on your computer when you are on vacation." It was almost like we were taught 2 complete courses, the PADI course and how it will work outside of the course.

It was almost like we were taught 2 complete courses, the PADI course and how it will work outside of the course.
"Almost," but not really. You got one course (I too had that original PADI EAN course), plus a bit of additional material relevant to having a computer; not everybody had one prior to 2006 when you did the class...

"Almost," but not really. You got one course (I too had that original PADI EAN course), plus a bit of additional material relevant to having a computer; not everybody had one prior to 2006 when you did the class...
Exactly. That is why I said "almost". I got the PADI course with the addition of a lot of information that I could apply in a "Real World" usage. My apologies if my original post was so unclear that you felt the need to explain my use of the word "almost".

Exactly. That is why I said "almost". I got the PADI course with the addition of a lot of information that I could apply in a "Real World" usage. My apologies if my original post was so unclear that you felt the need to explain my use of the word "almost".
Not arguing with you, just adding clarification that the "almost" is closer to "not at all" than to "nearly all."

If you plan on getting into tech diving, TDI is the choice. It was the only nitrox course (plus Advanced Nitrox) I offered because you had to do the math.
It goes much deeper into the numbers and you have to think about what you are doing. Depending on the instructor you're likely to get a good deal of extra info.
You could learn proper tank marking because it's a tech diving based class. And you start calculating your own mixes to work for your needs instead of just having to settle for the "standard" mix.
If you are diving the Great Lakes for example, Lake Erie, the mix of choice for many or us was 28%. 32 is too rich and limits your depth.
You'd learn those big ugly bumper stickers that say NITROX on them are not necessary and just a shop money grab.
I learned how to hillbilly blend by topping off a tank with a transfill whip from another and then recalculate the MOD in the tech based nitrox class I took with a NAUI instructor.
You'll learn why it's important to pay attention to the CNS clock, even using recreational mixes, especially on multiday multidive trips.
And there's a good chance that the cost will be about the same.
With the right instructor there could be big differences.
Hillbilly hillbilly blend when you top off a nitrox tank with air because lazy. I have two tanks of meaningless 24% that I have to remember to set my computer to for form rather than need.

Hillbilly hillbilly blend when you top off a nitrox tank with air because lazy. I have two tanks of meaningless 24% that I have to remember to set my computer to for form rather than need.
No, more like when you have a 32% mix but then the plan changes regarding depth and you need 28% for the extra depth and time. Not lazy, safety requires it.

I compared SSI Nitrox to TDI Nitrox and TDI Nitrox is more highly advanced than SSI. Is PADI nitrox equal to SSI nitrox? If they are the same, then TDI nitrox is better.

I compared SSI Nitrox to TDI Nitrox and TDI Nitrox is more highly advanced than SSI. Is PADI nitrox equal to SSI nitrox? If they are the same, then TDI nitrox is better.
Better for what?

Back
Top Bottom