PADI Nitrox or TDI Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LordHavoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did SDI Computer Nitrox many years before. Then I am looking at TDI Nitrox and it is very detailed. Does PADI Nitrox have exactly all the things that TDI Nitrox has? Out of PADI nitrox and TDI nitrox, which would be more detailed? Or are they the same?

Do you already have a card from SDI that permits you to obtain Nitrox fills?

-Z

I would expect the TDI course to be more detailed, and it's the prereq for their Advanced Nitrox course too.

I would not expect them to be much different really

They qualify you for the same as SDI Computer Nitrox Diver, so when it comes to that there's not really a reason to do the PADI or TDI one.

The TDI elearning is much more detailed. More focus on calculations and background information.

Half dozen one & six of the other

If you plan on getting into tech diving, TDI is the choice. It was the only nitrox course (plus Advanced Nitrox) I offered because you had to do the math.
It goes much deeper into the numbers and you have to think about what you are doing. Depending on the instructor you're likely to get a good deal of extra info.
You could learn proper tank marking because it's a tech diving based class. And you start calculating your own mixes to work for your needs instead of just having to settle for the "standard" mix.
If you are diving the Great Lakes for example, Lake Erie, the mix of choice for many or us was 28%. 32 is too rich and limits your depth.
You'd learn those big ugly bumper stickers that say NITROX on them are not necessary and just a shop money grab.
I learned how to hillbilly blend by topping off a tank with a transfill whip from another and then recalculate the MOD in the tech based nitrox class I took with a NAUI instructor.
You'll learn why it's important to pay attention to the CNS clock, even using recreational mixes, especially on multiday multidive trips.
And there's a good chance that the cost will be about the same.
With the right instructor there could be big differences.

I would expect the TDI course to be more detailed, and it's the prereq for their Advanced Nitrox course too.
You do not have to have TDI Nitrox before Adv Nitrox, any equivalent is accepted.

@LordHavoc

What kind of 'detail' are you looking for? When I did PADI Nitrox 5 years ago, it contained the basic theory (physiology, PPO2, influence of Nitrox on NDL, etc.), the math (from O2 % & PPO2 to MOD and vice versa), how to analyze a mix and how to put it in your computer.

I think the next level would be Advanced Nitrox, for mixes >40% O2 and for advanced math on using those mixes for deco (often, Advanced Nitrox can be combined with Deco Diver certification).

If you plan on getting into tech diving, TDI is the choice. It was the only nitrox course (plus Advanced Nitrox) I offered because you had to do the math.
It goes much deeper into the numbers and you have to think about what you are doing. Depending on the instructor you're likely to get a good deal of extra info.
You could learn proper tank marking because it's a tech diving based class. And you start calculating your own mixes to work for your needs instead of just having to settle for the "standard" mix.
If you are diving the Great Lakes for example, Lake Erie, the mix of choice for many or us was 28%. 32 is too rich and limits your depth.
You'd learn those big ugly bumper stickers that say NITROX on them are not necessary and just a shop money grab.
I learned how to hillbilly blend by topping off a tank with a transfill whip from another and then recalculate the MOD in the tech based nitrox class I took with a NAUI instructor.
You'll learn why it's important to pay attention to the CNS clock, even using recreational mixes, especially on multiday multidive trips.
And there's a good chance that the cost will be about the same.
With the right instructor there could be big differences.
You’re 100% correct but for most vacation divers with a computer and who need a Nitrox card for their annual resort trip, total overkill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom