PADI Nitrox or TDI Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They probably want people to be a little familiar with nitrox before taking on a more detailed course. I honestly don't quite understand what the point of TDI nitrox is because it doesn't give you anything that computer nitrox doesn't and if you want to use higher than 40%, you'll need to take advanced nitrox anyway.
The issue with >40% is it's getting to technical levels. Need to be concerned with CNS, oxygen clock, MOD's, etc. Or to put it another way, richer than 40% is pointless for a single gas dive.

It comes into its own when diving with a bottom gas and deco gas along with the correct decompression procedures.

The issue with >40% is it's getting to technical levels. Need to be concerned with CNS, oxygen clock, MOD's, etc. Or to put it another way, richer than 40% is pointless for a single gas dive.

It comes into its own when diving with a bottom gas and deco gas along with the correct decompression procedures.
I understand all that. I don't understand why TDI (a technical diving agency) has a nitrox course that doesn't really provide any benefits over computer nitrox that their recreational arm (SDI) teaches.

I understand all that. I don't understand why TDI (a technical diving agency) has a nitrox course that doesn't really provide any benefits over computer nitrox that their recreational arm (SDI) teaches.
The SDI Nitrox is (or should be) equivalent to the PADI one.

The Advanced Nitrox course will be a lot more theoretical as you'd bring in CNS and oxygen clock material. Can't see the point of Advanced Nitrox as a standalone course though as it is most used in conjunction with Decompression Procedures -- NoTox, etc.

The TDI version of Nitrox Diver covers this material that is not covered in the SDI Computer Nitrox Course:

. Physics a. Pressure review b. Partial pressures
. Dive Tables a. Equivalent air depth (EAD) introduction of concept only for demonstration b. EAN tables c. Switching mixes on repetitive dives
Common Mixing Procedures a. Partial pressure blending b. Continuous blending c. Membrane separation system

Also remember that not all TDI instructors are also SDI instructors. So if someone is interested in pursuing Technical Diving but does not yet have a Nitrox Certification they could try out a Technical instructor by doing the TDI nitrox course with them, or if they have decided on an instructor that instructor could do the TDI Nitrox course for them before proceeding on to AN/DP.

SDI Nitrox is not considered equivalent to TDI Nitrox. Though SDI and PADI Nitrox are considered equal, IMO, they probably shouldn't be.

So if you have an SDI nitrox cert, and want to take AN/DP, you must first take TDI or PADI's class first.

That being said, I think SDI's nitrox is entirely adequate for recreational divers. @LordHavoc, if you want to learn about Nitrox for your own knowledge, or if you want to get into tech diving, you will likely get the most out of TDI's course.

Edited to correct my mistake - thanks @loosenit2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom