PADI Nitrox course questions:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Logic Theorist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a few questions that hopefully you can help me out with, mostly related to the learning materials.

1) What is the deal with PADI making us buy the DVD? Aren't we going to watch the DVD in class? Is there any reason at all why I'd need to own it?

2) Does the DVD contain any information that's not in the book and taught in the class? I ask because I recall the OW course DVD being pretty much verbatim from the book, except for the goofy guy screwing everything up.

3) The book mentions 2 dives, but I noted that there are no longer dives required for the course. Do I have an old and invalid version of the book? Or have they just not changed this in the book and reprinted it yet?

Anything else you want to throw out there that I should be aware of is welcome.

Thanks!

PADI = Put Another Dollar In

I'm sure the DVD is just as useless as the OW DVD. My OW instructor was nice enough to lend out the DVDs because he understood that nobody in their right mind would want to own them. He certainly did not waste class time watching them. He just asked us to watch at home before the class. I hope your instructor didn't make you sit through the DVDs in class.

I haven't taken the course yet. I'm reading the book now, but honestly I'm not buying the DVD unless I absolutely have to. I learn a LOT from reading.

I wasn't forced to buy the OW DVD either, just watch it.

My wife and I did the PADI Nitrox course and did NOT have to purchase the DVD. We did it while onboard the Nekton liveaboard a couple years ago ...so maybe things have changed. We WATCHED the DVD as part of the course, which was totally self-paced. We were "given" 2 free EANX tank dives but I do not remember them being REQUIRED !!

I can't imagine the DVD being of any use to you after the course as long as you have the course booklet.

I get value from some of the DVD's. Some students do and others don't. It's merely to reinforce your learning while self studying. Watch the DVD, get the benefit of lecture and overview of the course. Read/study the book and do the knowledge reviews. Finally, watch the DVD again for reinforcement of what you learned, plus other things you may not have picked up on the first time through. When you show up for class, you're well prepared.

It's just a way to better help the self study concept. The DVD provides a visual and lecture type information....it works well for some...for others it's a waste of time and money. It all depends on the individual. Personally, it works for me....for others, maybe not.

And as this thread turns into PADI bashing and ripping the DVD's apart, make your own decisions based on how you like to learn.

My recent PADI Nitrox course included the DVD, but it was a cheap course as it was bundled with an AOW course.

I watched the DVD while getting some paperwork sorted out. It's not the best DVD, and I think I'm happier having it "bundled in" as opposed to them even trying to sell it to me.

Class was a very quick evening in which we did the mandatory paperwork, knowledge reviews, etc. then the instructor demoed a couple air analyzers and such. Actually, it was kind of cool as the shop's primary maintenance guy did it so he had a lot to share about equipment issues.

Then we took the test. No dives required. I kind of wish we had some dives included, but oh well.

The Logic Theorist:
I have a few questions that hopefully you can help me out with, mostly related to the learning materials.

1) What is the deal with....

2)....except for the goofy guy screwing everything up.

3) Or have they just not changed this in the book and reprinted it yet?

Anything else you want to throw out there that I should be aware of is welcome.

Joe-Diver:
And as this thread turns into PADI bashing and ripping the DVD's apart,

Turns in to? That's how it started.

Joe-Diver:
make your own decisions based on how you like to learn.

That's the real and best answer. I think many agencies other than PADI offer this certification. Find one you like, eliminate your "concerns" that way.

balance:
My recent PADI Nitrox course included the DVD, but it was a cheap course as it was bundled with an AOW course.

Class was a very quick evening in which we did the mandatory paperwork, knowledge reviews, etc. then the instructor demoed a couple air analyzers and such. Actually, it was kind of cool as the shop's primary maintenance guy did it so he had a lot to share about equipment issues.

Then we took the test. No dives required. I kind of wish we had some dives included, but oh well.
If it's bundled with the AOW course, then the ideal would be to employ Nitrox during the course to gain proficiency in its use.

Kinda makes sense doesn't it? ....Ooops, answered my own question :14:

That's how we do it anyway. :crafty:

You also do not HAVE to buy the DVD (O.P.).

RoatanMan:
Turns in to? That's how it started.

I suppose you could read it that way if you really wanted to, but if I wanted to bash PADI I wouldn't continue to sign up for their courses. Seems kinda common sense to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom