PADI Multilevel locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come up to Seattle and do the dives at Cove 2 and Redondo.

I've made my students plan their multi-level dive based on gas consumption and NDLs and then they are required to Dive Their Plan based on whichever limitation comes first -- gas consumption or NDL (and yes, it is ALWAYS gas consumption). As far as I'm concerned, this can be a very good exercise in situational awareness and being able to actually DIVE a pre-planned profile -- 20 minutes at 60 feet, 15 minutes at 45 feet, etc. all the time watching gas consumption and making sure their planned consumption is matching reality.

It is ALL about planning and execution.

That's how we handle it. We have a couple of sites quite suitable for that. One site that has a submerged structure that provides a nice suite of visual clues for them to follow on their planned depths. As you say, it's an excellent time for them to work on their awareness. If we aren't following the pair directly, we have a CA watching to see and evaluate how they are doing on their profile.

The CD who taught me said to always add "value" to any course and look for the opportunity to expand. "Multi-level and Computer Diving" is an excellent candidate for that.

... warm water, good viz. That would be my criteria.
DivemasterDennis

Haha...we don't have either. Hence the need to be careful about it and be "situationally aware".

This course still exists? I've never once heard of anyone taking it nor of an instructor teaching it. It's gone the way of the dinosaur. Get a dive computer (or ideally two), learn how to use them, and wallah ... every dive is a multilevel dive.

Just do mindeco, that's several levels.......[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I'm considering taking the PADI multilevel diving course. Where are some good locations? I am willing to travel, and want to pick a location who's underwater geography and scenery are conducive to multilevel.

Am I looking for a wall, such as Grand Cayman? Or, maybe an oil rig, are those commonly used?

Thanks,

Jeff

What the heck is a 'multilevel diving course' ? Aren't most dives multilevel?

What the heck is a 'multilevel diving course' ? Aren't most dives multilevel?

You must be a new diver.
When all we had was tables, all we could do was plan a square profile. Go down, stay, come up.
But, as you say, many dives are multi-level. So how do you use "square" tables to plan/analyze a multilevel dive?
There are good ways to use tables, and ways that can hurt you.
The course made good sense before computers; it makes little sense now.

You must be a new diver.
When all we had was tables, all we could do was plan a square profile. Go down, stay, come up.
But, as you say, many dives are multi-level. So how do you use "square" tables to plan/analyze a multilevel dive?
There are good ways to use tables, and ways that can hurt you.
The course made good sense before computers; it makes little sense now.
Did the course in 1996 and found it to be very useful because I did not have a computer then.
The "wheel" was great. My first introduction in pre-dive plan; plan the dive and dive the plan.

Maybe this class makes sense if you have trouble grasping the basic ideas covered in it, or figuring out using your dive computer. But I see it mostly as a holdover/dinosaur originally created before dive computers, when PADI was selling the wheel to plan multilevel dives.

PADI invented the wheel in 1988, the Orca Edge (the brick) electronic dive computer was sold in 1984, a buddy of mine still uses his. Multilevel diving was done on the tables before the wheel, but was not as easy.

In 1959 you could have bought the ScubaPro SOS mechanical dive computer, I'd advise against it.

Procedures and inventions overlap and usage depends on personal decisions. I used tables until several years into this century.

Bob

PADI invented the wheel in 1988, the Orca Edge (the brick) electronic dive computer was sold in 1984, a buddy of mine still uses his. Multilevel diving was done on the tables before the wheel, but was not as easy.

In 1959 you could have bought the ScubaPro SOS mechanical dive computer, I'd advise against it.

Procedures and inventions overlap and usage depends on personal decisions. I used tables until several years into this century.

Bob
Was that something like the "bend-o-matic"?

Back
Top Bottom