PADI Multilevel locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with most to not worry about a multi-level course or plan a trip around it. Also yes to the computer. Most of the (seldom) deep dives I do are in fact square profile--down to 80', 25 mins. or so on the bottom then up. Depends on where you go and what your dive objective is.

If you dive a PDC, and I feel every diver should, then there's no need to take a multi-level course. Better to get your skills in line with AOW or other class.

The PADI standards require the course to be taught with either The Wheel or the eRDPML. The former is obselete but is a really cool device, the latter is an interesting little calculator but nothing more than an automated table. The methodology requires depth changes of at least 20 feet. I haven't taught it in years and see no need to. I agree with NetDoc; get a computer and learn to use it. Constraining oneself to square profiles is silly. Also, if you find an instructor who offers to teach a multi-level course using standard tables, run like the wind! Although there are some scenarios where that is OK, in general it is a recipe for DCS. Do not do it. And once you've gotten to someplace safe, call PADI and report that instructor.

There is a course for Multi-Level Diving :shocked2:

Quelle Rip Off as they say in France.

I used a wheel back in the 90s before I bought my first computer (Suunto Companion), just buy a computer and learn how to use it properly.

PADIWheel_zpsba179a30.jpg

The wheel appears to no longer be allowed as only eRDPML is mentioned - link

As said above, why you need a course for this (apart from padding out an AOW syllabus) is beyond me - the simplest computers (which will probably cost the same or less than the course) do this automatically and probably safer as they can take account of deviations as they happen in the water (if you go deeper to avoid a current etc).

The only time I would even think about any issues with multilevel diving and computers would be when getting into the realms of Tech diving

The wheel appears to no longer be allowed as only eRDPML is mentioned - link

As said above, why you need a course for this (apart from padding out an AOW syllabus) is beyond me - the simplest computers (which will probably cost the same or less than the course) do this automatically and probably safer as they can take account of deviations as they happen in the water (if you go deeper to avoid a current etc).

The only time I would even think about any issues with multilevel diving and computers would be when getting into the realms of Tech diving
Yes, my post was unclear/incorrect/incomplete, depending on what error you think I made!

It is "Multi-level and Computer Diving" now, but has some material on deco models, which is not so bad. The eRDPML is still kind of clever, but is relevant in today's world.

gr8jab, as you've read, just about every dive - unless you are entering and dropping immediately down to a bottom depth (say 120') to stay for a few minutes then starting an assent that takes you back up to the surface (after your obligatory stop) is a multi-level dive. If it's just something you want to work on have fun. Otherwise, there are a lot of other "specialities" that might be a lot more fun.
I'm beginning to see that. I have used a dive computer for 15 years, and I guess I've been diving 'multi-level' all this time. Never had an eRPD, and have not used tables since OW cert. I thought there was something more to this specialty. I'd like to learn more about calculating SAC rates, estimating air consumption, and generally planning my dives better. And, of course, I don't know what I don't know yet... so I'm game to learn whatever.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2015 at 01:12 PM ----------

Am already AOW.

I'm beginning to see that. I have used a dive computer for 15 years, and I guess I've been diving 'multi-level' all this time. Never had an eRPD, and have not used tables since OW cert. I thought there was something more to this specialty. I'd like to learn more about calculating SAC rates, estimating air consumption, and generally planning my dives better. And, of course, I don't know what I don't know yet... so I'm game to learn whatever.

For that, I would start with NWGratefulDiver's blog, specifically his article "Understanding Gas Management," available at NWGratefulDiver.com

I'd like to learn more about calculating SAC rates, estimating air consumption, and generally planning my dives better.
I'd suggest you talk with an instructor, and consider an into-to-tech kind of course. Most of them would focus on just what you are interested in.....or they could focus that way if requested.

Come up to Seattle and do the dives at Cove 2 and Redondo.

I've made my students plan their multi-level dive based on gas consumption and NDLs and then they are required to Dive Their Plan based on whichever limitation comes first -- gas consumption or NDL (and yes, it is ALWAYS gas consumption). As far as I'm concerned, this can be a very good exercise in situational awareness and being able to actually DIVE a pre-planned profile -- 20 minutes at 60 feet, 15 minutes at 45 feet, etc. all the time watching gas consumption and making sure their planned consumption is matching reality.

It is ALL about planning and execution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom