PADI MSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like he was after his students count :)
Maybe. He was a good instructor who later took a position in the Caribbean. Last I heard he was (in Wash. State?) driving an ice cream truck.

I was presented the MSD by the instructor I trained with for most of the required certs. He presented it at a training / fun dive weekend at Lake Tahoe. He made a speech about the accomplishment and the few divers that achieve the MSD. I didn't fill out or pay for anything, he did. As for the required dives, I was diving before the instructor and DM were born, so it didn't come up.

One of the best PR moves I've seen, I'd bet he got a lot of business from that, regardless of the ultimate outcome. When discussing this with him, the instructor said he doesn't present the MSD often, but enjoys it when it happens.

Bob

I was presented the MSD by the instructor I trained with for most of the required certs. He presented it at a training / fun dive weekend at Lake Tahoe. He made a speech about the accomplishment and the few divers that achieve the MSD. I didn't fill out or pay for anything, he did. As for the required dives, I was diving before the instructor and DM were born, so it didn't come up.

One of the best PR moves I've seen, I'd bet he got a lot of business from that, regardless of the ultimate outcome. When discussing this with him, the instructor said he doesn't present the MSD often, but enjoys it when it happens.

Bob
Considering it cost him less than $25, that is a very wisely spent amount of money that he got back 100 fold. Smart shops/instructors just throw it in.

It was $41 in 2007. That's a lot of inflation.
just wait- everytime you turn around PADI increases their fees plus try to promote Elearning for all courses at a average pop of $185 to student

Considering it cost him less than $25, that is a very wisely spent amount of money that he got back 100 fold. Smart shops/instructors just throw it in.
It costs him a lot more than that. He has to pay the entire application fee for MSD, which is currently $70. The PIC is included. I do this for anybody who completes MSD with me, too, even if they hit the mark by completing their 50th logged dive on a trip I'm running.

there is no pic. for MSD- Instructor has to download a form from PADI pro site and signoff and student can send form directly to PADI wih credit card info
just checked with a friend who still teaches for PADI. That's crazy. For certs to be processed, it is just a pic. It is bizarre to have this huge fee for just a card. Before I became an instructor, I wasn't going to bother. Because I took classes from different agencies, when I qualified under SSI, it was just sent to me automatically along with a t-shirt.

just checked with a friend who still teaches for PADI. That's crazy. For certs to be processed, it is just a pic. It is bizarre to have this huge fee for just a card. Before I became an instructor, I wasn't going to bother. Because I took classes from different agencies, when I qualified under SSI, it was just sent to me automatically along with a t-shirt.
Why do they bother taking a pic each time? All I've ever got on my c-cards is the same pic that was used for my OW class, yet after each course the DS takes a new pic. It just doesn't get used.

Back
Top Bottom