Padi Master scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I can't even imagine a world where I'm so over weighted that I can kneel on the ground like I'm going to propose to someone.

Just try a pair of these (Mafia) water shoes and you won't have any troubles staying on the bottom... :D :wink:

Concrete shoes.jpg

As others say, MSD is a waste of money. The only specialities with any tangible value are nitrox and deep.

So no one feels that underwater navigation is of any tangible value? As far as the MSD it is a milestone some wish to achieve; me for instance; I have NO interest in becoming a DM or Instructor; MSD would be a personal triumph for me and it has nothing to do with EGO.

I'm at is Im loving improving my skill levels but Im concerned about taking the jump to divemaster due to liability issue on dives where I'm "just another diver"

Look into (Google) GUE Fundamentals.

So no one feels that underwater navigation is of any tangible value? As far as the MSD it is a milestone some wish to achieve; me for instance; I have NO interest in becoming a DM or Instructor; MSD would be a personal triumph for me and it has nothing to do with EGO.

Believe what Mustard Dave means by tangible is that without those certs you can be limited to air and 60' dives by dive operators. The rest you can pick up on your own, if you have the mind to.

It all has to do with ego, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Bob
------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

What liability "issue"?
what do imagine you would ever be held accountable for if you held a DM certification and an incident occurred?
I wouldn't let the fear of liability affect you decision on what classes to pursue.

Is it because of the....I'm a "professional" thing that people talk about on the forum?
If your not getting paid, then you are not a " Professional".

If someone gets lost and is hurt in some way.....do you think you are liable if you are on that boat, and have taken a navigation specialty?
People like to overstate the whole liability/I'm a Pro thing.

Just take the classes that you desire.

Fear of liability doesn't stop people from taking rescue classes.

It shouldn't stop anyone from taking a DM course either.

Cheers,
Mitch

In that case Bob, I understand where Mustard Dave is coming from

I didn't mean to imply any specialities are valueless, I've taken U/W Digital Photography for my own enjoyment. I don't think it should be counted toward a "Master Scuba Diver" rating, but that's just my opinion. I consider it fluff, as I do several others; they don't help you become a more accomplished diver, but may enhance your personal enjoyment of the U/W realm.

Okay I have never taken any UW photography course, and I have no idea what is in the curriculum and the standards that are applied, so my comment here might not be valid

Any UW photography course that does not take into account good buoyancy control is fluff (although I personally would use a different word here)

I would expect an UW photography course to ensure that the student is capable of handing their gear with suitable control over buoyancy and not crashing into coral etc. In that case it is not fluff but a course that deals with other aspects of UW photography other than using a camera underwater, and therefore improving on the students dive skills whilst handling the camera equipment. If it doesn't deal with that aspect then it could explain some really bad diving skills I have seen by some people who take photos underwater.

Okay I have never taken any UW photography course, and I have no idea what is in the curriculum and the standards that are applied, so my comment here might not be valid

Any UW photography course that does not take into account good buoyancy control is fluff (although I personally would use a different word here)

I would expect an UW photography course to ensure that the student is capable of handing their gear with suitable control over buoyancy and not crashing into coral etc. In that case it is not fluff but a course that deals with other aspects of UW photography other than using a camera underwater, and therefore improving on the students dive skills whilst handling the camera equipment. If it doesn't deal with that aspect then it could explain some really bad diving skills I have seen by some people who take photos underwater.

I guess you could make a case for learning how to use a (big?) camera in a way that you don't crash into the reef. I always figured you need really good buoyancy control to take photos effectively as well. But these are things one already should know, ideally from OW course. Thus I agree that the UW photo course is (should be) interesting fluff.

I guess you could make a case for learning how to use a (big?) camera in a way that you don't crash into the reef. I always figured you need really good buoyancy control to take photos effectively as well. But these are things one already should know, ideally from OW course. Thus I agree that the UW photo course is (should be) interesting fluff.

I gave up taking underwater pictures quite some time ago--too many pictures of fish butts. About the time I did, my son gave me a book on underwater photography. I looked through the table of contents and saw the content was quite daunting. I decided to wait until such a time as I was ready to get into it again with a good camera before tackling it all. Filters--lighting--camera angles--exposures--composition--post production work in PhotoShop--lots of stuff.

In the shop where I used to work, the underwater photography courses were taught by someone who was an outstanding marine photographer. The courses as he taught them were very long and quite complex.

I would not dream of calling them fluff. What goes on in them? I don't know, but because I don't know what goes on in them, I don't assume that nothing goes on in them.

I really can't see why people get so het up on the MSD rating. It is an individual's choice if they want to spend the money on it

Because it's just paying extra money for a card that adds no extra value; don't know what's such a mystery about that

If you want to light your cigars with $50 bills go ahead but don't expect other people not to think you're crazy

Back
Top Bottom