Padi Master scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am not a card collector nor do I have a "I Love Me Wall". I did the MSD because I wanted the training from the specialties and they were cheaper when bundled togeather with the Master Scuba Diver course on a liveaboard-training boat in Thailand. Had a great time with my brother while he did his OW Referral & AOW and we both learned a lot.

So for me getting the MSD was more logistical & finacial then self-satisfaction.

In my mind to have value, the requirements need to be tougher. Fluff specialities shouldn't apply, extra theory should be incorporated. I never did an adventure dive for AOW, taking what I considered useful specialities under appropriate circumstances (Nav in a quarry w/ 6' - 1' viz, Deep to 130', Drysuit, Nitrox, Equipment, and Rescue again in a crummy viz quarry). What do I know though, I'm a crusty old guy. :D

What you perceive as "fluff" is not what others may perceive.

If a course is taught well, not just to minimum requirements, all courses carry value.

I really can't see why people get so het up on the MSD rating. It is an individual's choice if they want to spend the money on it. Just because you don't want to spend for it, doesn't mean no-one should.

If a course is taught well, not just to minimum requirements, all courses carry value.

I really can't see why people get so het up on the MSD rating. It is an individual's choice if they want to spend the money on it. Just because you don't want to spend for it, doesn't mean no-one should.

I didn't mean to imply any specialities are valueless, I've taken U/W Digital Photography for my own enjoyment. I don't think it should be counted toward a "Master Scuba Diver" rating, but that's just my opinion. I consider it fluff, as I do several others; they don't help you become a more accomplished diver, but may enhance your personal enjoyment of the U/W realm.

I agree with you there.....some people will perceive many of these specialties as substantive.
They should take multiple specialties and support their LDS. Nothing wrong with that. We all have to feed the machine.

I've learned something from this thread.
Master Diver is earned. You have to have demonstrated mastery of 5 specialties. Before tackling that challenge, you have to be an Advanced Diver, so the in the water skills are going to be very good.
It is PADI's highest non-professional rating.

From what I have gathered from this thread, there would be far less cluster****ery on dive boats if there were more Master Divers out there. By the time someone has made it through all of those specialties, they have had so much time under the guidance of the professional instructor corps, they would be very highly skilled indeed.

Actually....doesn't the whole Master diver approach justify the PADI approach to multiple bite size classes as opposed to the longer classes that are taught by other classes?

We always hear that argument from people on this board when people make fun of the short PADI classes. Or the critism that the Advanced class doesn't teach advanced dive skills?

Maybe in the PADI training pipeline, your training isn't really complete until you have earned the rating of Master Diver.

It seems to me that a Master Diver would be the equivalent of a student from one of the long courses.
The only way to know would be from seeing how divers looked in the water.

Maybe PADI got it right....if you always wanted the higher skills that are taught in the longer courses out there......this will achieve the same thing, no?

Imagine how many dives you will have had with an instructor, how many hours in the classroom by the time you finish. I hope the PADI master diver program is producing highly skilled divers. If it isn't....then instructors are failing.

If it IS producing those types of divers....then in the end, it's a good thing. I have never dove with a Master Diver, so I have no idea what the skills look like.

As with everything....the proof is in the product. Maybe the reason instructors on this board defend the Master Diver program, is because it's the culmination of all of that Instructor/Student dive time.
PADI's equivalent to the long course.

I would hope that the displayed diver skill is much better than the Advanced class standard.
It should be....... if students are getting their money's worth.

How many dives would you have with an instructor by the time you earned a Master Diver rating?

As a Master Diver....will you look like you have had a lot of dives under the wing of instructor(s)?

Cheers,
Mitch

Last edited:
Depending on the instructor possibly. But I have seen more than a few who are still bicycling with their legs, can't clear a mask without getting vertical, and still allow someone else to plan all their dives. There are those though from a few instructors who are more old school and turn out to be very good divers.
Regretfully though more than few of the former end up as DM's and you can spot em pretty quick.

I hear you there!
"You can spot 'em pretty quick." the good and the bad.

You mean like this?

Pro Dive - Master Scuba Diver**

The PADI Master Scuba Diver rating is the highest recreational diver rating in the PADI program and denotes superior achievement and proficiency.

This program allows sport divers to gain valuable experience which will benefit aspiring Divemasters and Instructors and also provides a great opportunity to increase your number of dives required for Divemaster (60 Dives) and Instructor (100 dives).

Yup, just slam them through OW, AOW, EFR, Rescue, 5 Specs and Master Diver so they have 60 dives and can do their DM. Then they will be leading the new guys around on dives...

I suppose you possibly could come out a good diver in a zero to hero course like that but I don't think it's designed to ensure that outcome.

**I can't even imagine a world where I'm so over weighted that I can kneel on the ground like I'm going to propose to someone.

The lightbulb didn't come on for me to stop clearing my mask vertically until around 60 dives - shortly before my DM training.

I believe an MSD cert should recognize those who have achieved mastery of the fundamental basics (OW skills), simple task loading (AOW/specialties), and situational awareness (Rescue). To echo the above, it is basically recognition that you have completed the PADI education system at a recreational level.

The rest lies on that dead horse named mastery.

(For what it's worth - my MSD app is sitting, filled out, in my file cabinet. I don't feel I've earned it yet)

I find it interesting that you're already an instructor, but don't feel you have earned a MSD card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom