Padi Master scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to an article I was required to read when I got my first professional training, the model for the MSD was Boy Scouts. If you are a first class Scout and wish to advance to next rank--Star Scout, you need to acquire 5 merit badges.

Back when this was first done, all the merit badges (er, specialty certifications) that were available actually did make you a better diver. If you got 5 badges, you got close to all that were available. Today it is possible to get 5 such badges without actually going in the water all that much.

If that's the case, PADI missed the whole point of the Eagle rank. It's not "get 21 merit badges and here you are." You also have to demonstrate leadership in your troop, as well as plan and execute a service project involving many volunteer man-hours, not to mention the whole upstanding character and all that.

TBH I would probably still assume you were a wanker if you got one, at least until proven otherwise; much like someone who got their OW certification date tattooed on them, or sewed a "rescue diver" chevron on their wetsuit
I never realized that you hold such a high esteem on PADI's MSD.
As for wanking, please don't suggest that you had never experienced that.

Seems like a good analogy; nothing to be ashamed of, but not something to shout about either

Well I have a Product Of Australia symbol tattooed on my butt cheek, does that entitle me to the wanker certification too? Gee I hope so as the damn thing cost me $150. An official wanker certification, is there a stamp for that?

Well I have a Product Of Australia symbol tattooed on my butt cheek, does that entitle me to the wanker certification too?

I guess that's open to debate... but if you give me $50 I'll send you a c-card regardless

The other day I was at my LDS to drop off 2 of my tanks for hydro and viz and I mentioned to the owner that I was interested in working on NAUI Divemaster rating. My reasoning isn't just to gain another pretty piece of plastic to keep in my logbook; it's about improving myself as a diver. I know that I need to take Rescue Diver and/or CPR. I let my CPR Certification expire years ago, so that's a good refresher.
I asked him what the difference was between NAUI Master Diver and NAUI Divemaster. Steve informed me that the diving skills were the same for both ratings, but what sets Divemaster apart was the leadership, diving physiology, and professionalism that he said a good, competent Divemaster should possess. He also said that in addition to what the course dictates for minimum standards, there would be more skills and components not in the book that would be incorporated into the cirriculum. What I liked is when he said that it will be a hard course to pass and would most likely take the entire summer to accomplish the rating in the proper manner. I don't have a problem with that at all.
What I want is to be a better diver in all aspects. I'll probably never take an Ice Diver Course or Tri-mix Gas course, but who knows.:acid:

Here's a kinda dumb noob question for you all ... My certs are all PADI, thus far. I have OW, AOW, EAN, Rescue, O2, and their EFR training. For AOW, I had to do a bunch of specialties, as I recall - deep, navigation, night, fish ID, and maybe used the nitrox? for the fifth, can't recall. So, for the MD card, I would need to do 5 more? Also, I didn't get cards for any of the specialties that went towards the AOW (except the nitrox, if I used that, because I did it separately from a different instructor). So, I wonder, do I qualify right now? Do I need a bunch more cards to qualify? Can I just send PADI $50 and get my card? (not that I want one mind you. or do I? - don't answer that, it was rhetorical)

This was a fun thread to read through for lots of reasons.

P.S. I am a criminal defense lawyer (an assistant public defender) and I always laugh when I run into anti-lawyer threads on the web. Generalizations and stereotypes are just that. As a friend on another website says, "sling 'em, if you got 'em"

Amy,

You need to have Rescue as basic and five other specialties.

Since you have Nitrox already then you need four more.

Amy,

You need to have Rescue as basic and five other specialties.

Since you have Nitrox already then you need four more.

I feel a bit obtuse here, but, so even though I did deep as part of my AOW, I would have to do it again, and get a card? Or, I would have to pick another 4 specialties that I didn't do, like drysuit, let's say, since I read that book already, and get cards for them?

I feel a bit obtuse here, but, so even though I did deep as part of my AOW, I would have to do it again, and get a card? Or, I would have to pick another 4 specialties that I didn't do, like drysuit, let's say, since I read that book already, and get cards for them?

For AOW, you did one each of the varied specialty dives. To get each specialty card, you need to (a) complete the knowledge review for that specialty and (b) complete the dives (typically 2-4) for that specialty. The one AOW dive in that specialty can count towards the specialty dive total, but that's up to the specialty instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom