Padi Master scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI "Master Diver", is no different than a Subway punch card. It demonstrates that you showed up 5 times, and nothing more.

That means that the SSI MD card demonstrates that you showed up only 4 times!

...and here was me thinking that 'DIR Practitioner' was the ultimate penis enhancement for divers.

God save us from clique mentality...

How do you figure it has anything to do with that??? That's an odd connection for you to make.:shakehead:
I don't post anything at all about GUE.

Cheers,
Mitch

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

...and here was me thinking that 'DIR Practitioner' was the ultimate penis enhancement for divers.

God save us from clique mentality...

That would be your "Tech Instructor" tag. Along with that massive banner at the bottom of your posts.:wink:
Now THAT is an impressive enhancement indeed.

Cheers,
Mitch

Last edited:
How do you figure it has anything to do with that???

My point being - we all have badges we're proud to wear and accomplishments that we're proud of achieving.

If a diver is proud of the hard work and commitment they put into a series of training to achieve MSD, then all well and good for them. They did something that they were proud of - and who are we to take anything away from them? Who are we to scoff at them?

We all have the same guilty pleasures. All that differs is how we see our achievements in comparison to others.

I'm quite proud of my tech instructor ratings (although the only reason they're mentioned here on SB is because some members contact me for training). Once upon a time I was quite proud of my MSD rating. It was a snapshot in time - but what it reflected was a mindset to continually persist with training and self-development as a diver.

Do you think it appropriate to ridicule those divers who exhibit that same mindset, but simply haven't yet reached your level of attainment... or have yet to be introduced to the alternative training opportunities that you've had the pleasure/privilege/luck to undertaken?

Fair enough Man,

My point is that it is an actual title that has been earned. To co-opt the name is kind of cheap. They could call it something else.

Or at least make it an actual course of instruction, and attempt to give it some value.

Sorry if I sounded like a dick.

Cheers,
Mitch

My point is that it is an actual title that has been earned. To co-opt the name is kind of cheap. They could call it something else.

Or at least make it an actual course of instruction, and attempt to give it some value.

I think it's important to differentiate between the attitude of the agency...and that of the diver.

PADI could do something meaningful (from a training perspective) with the MSD level. They choose instead to utilize it as a means of recognition for divers who exhibit a commitment to their development. I like that PADI recognize the merits of a positive outlook to training and development. All cynicism aside (and I'm pretty cynical of many PADI policies) it does have a tangible positive benefit - it motivates some divers to improve their knowledge, skills and experience. PADI obviously profit from that - but such profit isn't mutually exclusive from benefits to the student. I see it as a win-win solution.

It isn't fair to attribute blame... or scorn... on those divers who view the MSD rating positively. I think it's a pretty common human trait to enjoy accolade for your accomplishments. If PADI did have a meaningful recreational diving certification level beyond Rescue Diver (excepting pro and tech levels), then I am quite sure that many of those holding MSD cards would have striven for it.

Personally, I'd like to see PADI do more to provide true 'advanced' recreational level diving tuition. Oh heck... did I just say PADI don't supply enough courses?!?

I have always thought it would be a good idea for PADI to bolster the MSD rating by requiring the applicant to pass the four theory exams for Divemaster (physics, physiology, equipment and deco theory) to get the MSD rating. That would add some significance to the card, as it demonstrates a deeper level of knowledge and commitment to the sport beyond the 5 specialty cards. But it would heavily cut down the number of MSDs, so PADI will never do it.

But I think the MSD rating does what PADI wants it to do - gets younger divers excited about the ability to obtain a prestigious sounding qualification. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. When I contrast the younger divers I know who are really excited about diving and want to work up to their MSD card, it sometimes makes a refreshing contrast with the more jaded cynicism about the rating on SB. Anything that gets youngsters more excited about diving can't be all bad.

According to an article I was required to read when I got my first professional training, the model for the MSD was Boy Scouts. If you are a first class Scout and wish to advance to next rank--Star Scout, you need to acquire 5 merit badges.

Back when this was first done, all the merit badges (er, specialty certifications) that were available actually did make you a better diver. If you got 5 badges, you got close to all that were available. Today it is possible to get 5 such badges without actually going in the water all that much.

My point being - we all have badges we're proud to wear and accomplishments that we're proud of achieving.

If a diver is proud of the hard work and commitment they put into a series of training to achieve MSD, then all well and good for them. They did something that they were proud of - and who are we to take anything away from them? Who are we to scoff at them?

We all have the same guilty pleasures. All that differs is how we see our achievements in comparison to others.

I'm quite proud of my tech instructor ratings (although the only reason they're mentioned here on SB is because some members contact me for training). Once upon a time I was quite proud of my MSD rating. It was a snapshot in time - but what it reflected was a mindset to continually persist with training and self-development as a diver.

Do you think it appropriate to ridicule those divers who exhibit that same mindset, but simply haven't yet reached your level of attainment... or have yet to be introduced to the alternative training opportunities that you've had the pleasure/privilege/luck to undertaken?

To clarify...I was responding to this post of yours: "...and here was me thinking that 'DIR Practitioner' was the ultimate penis enhancement for divers.

God save us from clique mentality... "

Your penis reference, which was pretty funny.......shouldn't be directed at only DIR. Aim that thing somewhere else. :wink:
I would have to say that the PADI clique mentality is very firmly entrenched here on this forum. Let's not lose sight of the fact that PADI has it's fair share of "penis enhancing" courses in it's lineup.

We all spend our fair share of throwing around a little ridicule, as did you. We all participate in this, so none of us can be on a high horse.

Cheers,
Mitch

Back
Top Bottom