Padi Master scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think in the former post, you meant to say "You could do the same by just, well, diving (with a competent mentor)..."

and I would agree with that, but just diving would most likely ingrain bad habits.

This is true.

Practice does not make perfect. It makes permanent. If you practice something over and over wrong, you default to wrong when you do it.

Sorry, that's Tribe™.

Oh Shuckie Darns...I have been busted by the Grammar Police :)
:gp:

Have a good day Chrpai
:bananalama:

I do not see any reason to get a PADI Master Diver card but I do enjoy taking courses that will increase my knowledge and give me more skills to practice.

However, I do see a reason to get an SSI Master Diver card (which is easier to get than the PADI MD card). According to to the SSI shop I sometimes visit having a Master Diver card is required before entering their "pro" courses.

I thought it was worth the little $$$ to get the Padi MSD card as it was something I initially looked forward to getting and such it motivated me to take more classes. Would I have taken the same classes? Likely but just maybe not as fast. As someone who almost always dives solo (except in classes) I think taking the extra classes was a good way to gain experience and learn a few tricks I might not have thought of on my own. I'm not interested in getting a DM certification but have a couple of the books that I am reading on my own. Sounds like the SSI or NAUI MSD classes might be a good fit for me. Too bad nobody seems to offer those anywhere around here.

Edit: I looked at the SSI MD requirements on the SSI website. I'm not sure if you have to pay for the SSI MD card but it looks like you have to take 4 SSI specialties plus rescue. For PADI you have to pay for the card but you have to take 5 specialties and Rescue. Assuming one took specialites like Nitrox, Night, Deep, Wreck, Navigation, and Rescue via PADI, what is the difference? Are the classes more in depth for SSI? Seems like you take less for SSI otherwise? How is the SSI MD comparable to PADI DM without the teaching aspect?

Last edited:
You bet. You can do hundreds of dives at the same kind of resort while overweighted and out of trim until you are really, really good at diving overweighted and out of trim. You can go into more and more complex wrecks, caverns, and caves without being shown how to do it safely until you find the one you can't get out of. There are all sorts of things you can do without any training at all.

Now that did really make me laugh. The sad part of it and problem is that its so true. Convincing ones self that what you are doing is correct because you have ALWAYS dived that way. Sadly I agree. Learn it correctly then practice it.

Now that did really make me laugh. The sad part of it and problem is that its so true. Convincing ones self that what you are doing is correct because you have ALWAYS dived that way. Sadly I agree. Learn it correctly then practice it.

About a year and a half ago a dive shop owner with thousands of dives, a DM in her employ with thousands of dives, and another guy with hundreds of dives went out diving. As I understand it, all those dives had been essentially the same dive done repeatedly in their tropical environment. They were at the top of their diving games. I suspect they did not know a single diver better than they at the dives they had been doing for all those years. They decided that, without any further training, they would do a dive together to 300 feet.

The dive shop owner took a few weeks before she passed away. The DM will likely never walk again. The other guy, who did not follow them all the way down, will be OK.

About a year after that, I joined 3 others in a dive beyond 300 feet at almost the same place they did their dive. We were trained for that kind of diving. We were prepared for the difficulties that caused their disaster, so we did not encounter them. We were never remotely in danger. It was a routine dive for us.

Different strokes for different folks.

Back
Top Bottom