Padi Master scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You bet. You can do hundreds of dives at the same kind of resort while overweighted and out of trim until you are really, really good at diving overweighted and out of trim. You can go into more and more complex wrecks, caverns, and caves without being shown how to do it safely until you find the one you can't get out of. There are all sorts of things you can do without any training at all.

Nah, in my community, we fix those horrible divers that the pro's turn out. But nice attempt to twist my words.

You bet. You can do hundreds of dives at the same kind of resort while overweighted and out of trim until you are really, really good at diving overweighted and out of trim. You can go into more and more complex wrecks, caverns, and caves without being shown how to do it safely until you find the one you can't get out of. There are all sorts of things you can do without any training at all.

Nah, in my community, we fix those horrible divers that the pro's turn out. But nice attempt to twist my words.

I am going to have to agree with John on this one. Continuing Education when coupled with more diving fosters a better learnining environment than just diving alone. If a diver does not understand that they are doing something less efficiently, but functionally, they mostlikely will continue to do the same thing as always. How many centuries was the world flat? :)

Continuing diving education is not for everyone...thus the PADI MSD "Challenge" is not for everyone and it is easy to see why it could be considered just a marketing ploy. But for those who do enjoy Continuing Education opportunities, the MSD is just one such avenue.

I am going to have to agree with John on this one.

Of course you will, you are a member of the "tribe". John's example was absurd. 1) Don't turn out new O/W divers that in the first place and 2) Don't assume that people can't expand their horizons without the help of a "pro".

Of course you will, you are a member of the "tribe". John's example was absurd. 1) Don't turn out new O/W divers that in the first place and 2) Don't assume that people can't expand their horizons without the help of a "pro".

Don't assume they can (or will), either.

Don't assume is usually true.

You could do the same by just, well, diving. No classes required. Considering the burn out rate of new divers.... just by actually diving on a regular basis year after year will put you in the top percentiles.

I think in the former post, you meant to say "You could do the same by just, well, diving (with a competent mentor)..."

and I would agree with that, but just diving would most likely ingrain bad habits.

I think in the former post, you meant to say "You could do the same by just, well, diving (with a competent mentor)..."

and I would agree with that, but just diving would most likely ingrain bad habits.

I would include diving with a competent mentor as continuing eduction. Any time a diver seeks to learn new skills or refine the ones they have...they are learning. You do not have to pay for everything that is good.

I would include diving with a competent mentor as continuing eduction. Any time a diver seeks to learn new skills or refine the ones they have...they are learning. You do not have to pay for everything that is good.

I would agree with that. But John used the term "continual classes" after naming off a bunch of specs and distinct specs.

Otherwise I agree... there is a difference between 10 years experience and 10 years of the same year experience.

Of course you will, you are a member of the "tribe" ...

A member of the "tribe"... I don't think so Tim.

Tim-al 2.jpg

While the Cleveland Indians' fans or as they prefer to be called, the "Tribe" are great baseball fans, I am not a tribe member.

Cleveland.jpg

I am a Rockies fan...thru and thru.

Rockies.jpg

Attachments

• Yankees.jpg
    Yankees.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 48
  • Tim-Al-home-improvement-tv-show-30858729-1400-1344.jpg
    Tim-Al-home-improvement-tv-show-30858729-1400-1344.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 43
I would agree with that. But John used the term "continual classes" after naming off a bunch of specs and distinct specs.

Otherwise I agree... there is a difference between 10 years experience and 10 years of the same year experience.

I don't think that makes John wrong...just using a different approach than you mentioned to reach a simular goal...a better diver.

IMO both are viable methods which I have used both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom