PADI master scuba diver rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to be a increasingly competent diver. I don't mind the courses and the specialties. And I don't mind compensating my instructors. I think if motorcycle licenses required more training like scuba there just might be fewer fatalities. Yes, I had a Harley and had too many close friends die, not always related to bad skills, but sometimes just being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Scuba problems could arise in a very similar way. So, I've very interested in learning. I don't really care about MSD, but I do care about being able to talk about number of dives and instructional experiences.

On our liveaboard this Summer in Belize one of our companion passengers was a DM and was willing to give some suggestions to those of us who were open to his observations. I learned a lot from him in casual conversations throughout the day, and I'm thankful for his instruction as well as the instruction of others...

And that's a great attitude. Just keep looking to learn, and do what it takes to learn it.

One problem people have who are new to any sport is that when they try to pick up what they can from more experienced participants, they don't have enough expertise to know if they have picked a good role model or a bad role model. Most of the bad habits I picked up in skiing came from imitating the wrong skiers.

One afternoon in Belize I went to the beach-side bar to get an order of drinks for our table. It took the bartender quite a while to get the order together, and while I was waiting, a diver was waxing eloquent on the physics of diving to the rest of the people at the bar, none of whom were apparently divers. He left just before my drinks were finished. One of the people at the bar addressed me, telling me that he could tell from the pained expression on my face that I thought most of what the guy was saying was pure BS, and he wondered if I could straighten things out. He himself was a physician and knew enough about science to know the guy was wrong, and he was hoping to get a correct answer. He was right about the other guy--it's hard to believe he ever got certified and still be so very wrong about it all.

That's why it is important to be very careful about where you get your learning as you grow in any activity.

Some people at my dive shop that say that the PADI master diver rating is over rated if you plan on becoming an instructor. Any thoughts from others would be appreciated.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...846-milestone-reached-master-scuba-diver.html

There was a recent, reasonably positive/balanced thread on SB following a post by a diver who was proud of recently achieving the MSD rating. Perhaps the thread followed this path because the first congratulatory post was from Quero. Few would argue that finishing PADI Rescue Diver and 5 specialties is a bad thing. What's the big deal with having someone buying a card that reflects this achievement? Whether one applies for the card or not is an individual decision. The achievement is considerably more than most divers ever accomplish.

Good diving, Craig

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...846-milestone-reached-master-scuba-diver.html

There was a recent, reasonably positive/balanced thread on SB following a post by a diver who was proud of recently achieving the MSD rating. Perhaps the thread followed this path because the first congratulatory post was from Quero. Few would argue that finishing PADI Rescue Diver and 5 specialties is a bad thing. What's the big deal with having someone buying a card that reflects this achievement? Whether one applies for the card or not is an individual decision. The achievement is considerably more than most divers ever accomplish.

Good diving, Craig

There is nothing bad about getting the MSD rating. There is also nothing good about it. It's completely neutral. You might as well post how proud you are to have bought one of those dive flag stickers for your car.

Well get a better class of instructor, mine presented me with mine at a dive / training outing at Lake Tahoe, I didn't pay for that card.

Bob
----------------------
May be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I have the divers plate on the front of my van and the sticker on the back as well as a sticker on the back of my motorcycle helmet. I waited 48 years to earn the right to honestly display them.

I am slowly working on master diver rating at the PADI shop I deal with. Their policy is that if I do all the courses for master diver with them they will pay for my card and give me $150 store credit. I would take the courses anyway but it is nice to get something back.

Sort of like being a BA in college. There is no course called BA. But you have to take a bunch of courses and when you get the degree there is a feeling of accomplishment. And there is often a graduation fee if you want the piece of paper.

PADI's MSD is about as useful as a BA as well.

I am slowly working on master diver rating at the PADI shop I deal with. Their policy is that if I do all the courses for master diver with them they will pay for my card and give me $150 store credit. I would take the courses anyway but it is nice to get something back.

That's the only PADI MSD I've ever heard of with actual value.

Why people go so het up on this is beyond me. If you complete the pre-requisites and you would like the card, get the card.

If you complete the pre-requisites and you would not like the card, don't get the card.

It is a rating not a certification , simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom