PADI Knowledge Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. I just completed my OW, EANx, and AOW in the last few months. In the PADI book there were knowledge reviews that we had to turn in. For the OW class, I found all 5 online in the form of a .pdf. I changed this into an editable .pdf all with multiple choice and worked them out that way (just click the selection(s) you want). I liked it enough that I did the same for the other 2 classes.

I could not find .pdf of either the EANx or AOW classes, so I had to scan and fix in an editor (so it looks more professional). My question is, would it be ok to post these? I mean, I'm not looking for money, just to try to give back to the community. You can't do anything with them other than click the multiple choice boxes and send or print them out.

I understand that this is PADI literature which is why I'm thinking the answer is no, however you would need to buy the book, to take the class, to use the pdf.'s, etc.....

It just made things a lot easier for me, and a heck of a lot neater. I shared them with a few in the class and they liked them a lot. I didn't finish all AOW specialties, just the few that we did, but I'd be more than happy to continue if it would do the community good.

Not really sure why PADI doesn't do this now....

Seriously, I suspect it has something to with Copyright issues ...

As you said I would assume PADI is not cool with it. They make more $$ from training materials than certs. They do offer digital versions of most classes, but that doesn’t solve your issue.

What actually surprises me is that your knowledge reviews were collected? Years ago they used to collect them, now instructors are just supposed to verify that you completed them. They should be leaving them intact for your future reference.

Instructor can request knowledge review for student record file but not required by standards.

Seriously, I suspect it has something to with Copyright issues ...

If creating the form and posting it is analogous to making photocopies--and you can reach your own conclusion on that--then that would violate PADI's copyright.

When I did my OW, the instructor ripped the knowledge review pages out of the book and collected them. I went to a different shop to do my PPB and the same thing happened. I was told it was a PADI policy so that the book would be useless to another student (i.e. every student would need to buy her own book). I was peeved cause I’m the kind of person who likes to keep books in nice condition. :mad:

Only in the scuba industry do you have such protectionist policies. (Ok there are others but I’m just venting here.)

Hello all. I just completed my OW, EANx, and AOW in the last few months. In the PADI book there were knowledge reviews that we had to turn in. For the OW class, I found all 5 online in the form of a .pdf. I changed this into an editable .pdf all with multiple choice and worked them out that way (just click the selection(s) you want). I liked it enough that I did the same for the other 2 classes.

I could not find .pdf of either the EANx or AOW classes, so I had to scan and fix in an editor (so it looks more professional). My question is, would it be ok to post these? I mean, I'm not looking for money, just to try to give back to the community. You can't do anything with them other than click the multiple choice boxes and send or print them out.

I understand that this is PADI literature which is why I'm thinking the answer is no, however you would need to buy the book, to take the class, to use the pdf.'s, etc.....

It just made things a lot easier for me, and a heck of a lot neater. I shared them with a few in the class and they liked them a lot. I didn't finish all AOW specialties, just the few that we did, but I'd be more than happy to continue if it would do the community good.

Not really sure why PADI doesn't do this now....

PADI is essentially a publishing company. Their business model is not training divers. Shops train divers. Their business model is making sure that the target group buys books.

That's probably an over-simplification but I think if I explain it to you like that then you're going to know how PADI will react if you copy their stuff and put it on the public domain.

R..

When I did my OW, the instructor ripped the knowledge review pages out of the book and collected them. I went to a different shop to do my PPB and the same thing happened. I was told it was a PADI policy so that the book would be useless to another student (i.e. every student would need to buy her own book). I was peeved cause I’m the kind of person who likes to keep books in nice condition. :mad:

Only in the scuba industry do you have such protectionist policies. (Ok there are others but I’m just venting here.)
Knowledge Reviews have not been required to be physically collected since 3rd Quarter 2006.

Collecting knowledge reviews is one of my pet peeves. There remain a number of shops that still rip out the Knowledge Reviews. It is not a PADI requirement, but many shops that have been around for a number of years still do this. I guess it was a standard practice in the 1990's to collect them and that practice is now established policy.

The most recent PADI's Guide to Teaching still has two references to collecting knowledge reviews

Under General Considerations - Knowledge Reviews:
Document in each student divers’ training record that you reviewed the completed Knowledge Reviews or retain a copy of the student divers’ completed and signed Knowledge Review in Student Record Files.

Under Legal Risk and the Dive Professional:
Knowledge Reviews – Have student divers sign these after you review them. Collect and keep Knowledge Reviews with other student records or document you reviewed them on the student record file.

So PADI is not making the collection of the knowledge reviews a requirement, but they are not doing anything to stop the practice either. I guess PADI will have to explicitly state that Knowledge Reviews are NOT to be collected and the the only correct method is to document the review of the material on the student record file.

I guess PADI will have to explicitly state that Knowledge Reviews are NOT to be collected and the the only correct method is to document the review of the material on the student record file.
Why is there a problem with collecting them? And they need a COPY, not the original. Read the Standards.
Oh, and it is all going to be electronic anyway....no more student record files, is the latest word. So, hang in there, it is all going to be better. Real Soon Now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom