PADI Knowledge Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is there a problem with collecting them? And they need a COPY, not the original. Read the Standards.
Oh, and it is all going to be electronic anyway....no more student record files, is the latest word. So, hang in there, it is all going to be better. Real Soon Now.

There is no requirement in the Standards to copy or collect the knowledge reviews that I am aware of. You can document, copy, or collect. Unfortunately there are still many shops who rip the pages out of the manuals...this is the action I have a problem with. If the shops want to keep copies for their records, make a copy, don't rip the pages out of the student's manual.

"No more student record files." PADI is definetly moving to digital registrations, digital forms and digital signatures but the student record file can still exist. If you were in the Mastering PADI’s Paperless Registration Process seminar at DEMA, a good example was the signed medical form...this can be scanned and uploaded or kept in a student record file kept by the shop. So yes, that student record file can and likely will still exist for a long time. And I suspect the dive shops and instructors that rip the knowledge reviews from the student manuals will also be around for a while also.

There is no requirement in the Standards to copy or collect the knowledge reviews that I am aware of. You can document, copy, or collect. Unfortunately there are still many shops who rip the pages out of the manuals...this is the action I have a problem with. If the shops want to keep copies for their records, make a copy, don't rip the pages out of the student's manual.

"No more student record files." PADI is definetly moving to digital registrations, digital forms and digital signatures but the student record file can still exist. If you were in the Mastering PADI’s Paperless Registration Process seminar at DEMA, a good example was the signed medical form...this can be scanned and uploaded or kept in a student record file kept by the shop. So yes, that student record file can and likely will still exist for a long time. And I suspect the dive shops and instructors that rip the knowledge reviews from the student manuals will also be around for a while also.
I concur.
My wife is a librarian...if I ripped the pages out of ANY book, I'd be sleeping on the back porch.

The regressive shops will ultimately regress out of business. My guess is many shops will attempt to go fully digital, scanning everything in sight and storing it. Some are already there. I'm an independent instructor, and do most of my training on trips that I lead. The less paper the better.

So it is not only me who finds the practice of ripping pages out of a perfectly good book repulsive. And I was never able to refer back to those knowledge reviews and the answers I wrote in them. It's a ridiculous practice. I hope it ends for future students.

So it is not only me who finds the practice of ripping pages out of a perfectly good book repulsive. And I was never able to refer back to those knowledge reviews and the answers I wrote in them. It's a ridiculous practice. I hope it ends for future students.
I suspect you could object to the shop if the shop wants to do it. After all, it is YOUR book, not theirs, and they can show you NOTHING that says they need to take those pages. Or, you can keep ranting on SB about it and see if that changes their ways.

I had no idea some dive shops ripped pages out of the PADI books. I would have walked away and never come back.

I suspect you could object to the shop if the shop wants to do it. After all, it is YOUR book, not theirs, and they can show you NOTHING that says they need to take those pages. Or, you can keep ranting on SB about it and see if that changes their ways.

Sorry, I must rant about it here cause the pages have already been ripped out. During my OW and my PPB (2 different shops) the instructors wouldn't take no for an answer. I didn't know any better at the time and didn't want to push the issue. But now I know better since I've been "educated" so I'll make sure no one rips pages out of my AOW manual when I do that later this year!

If I did not rant on SB, how would I have been thus "educated" by the learned folks here? :idk:

Well, just so you know, my LDS didn't rip any pages out. They requested they be scanned, filled out, and brought in. I figured it was a firm "no" to posting, but if anyone is in the class, or an instructor that wants to get with the times, and would like my sheets just pm me. (I think my book was published February of this year, so the most recent).

Again, I'm just trying to give back a little. It wouldn't surprise me if PADI is all digital very soon, I'm kind of surprised they're not yet.

Edit: just to be clear, they're not filled out or anything. Just blank, editable .pdf's. I don't want to make it sound like I'm doing anyone's homework, lol.

Last edited:
About 6 years after PADI stopped requiring the collection of knowledge reviews, I moved to a different shop. After several months of instructing, the owner said that it had come to his attention that I was not collecting knowledge reviews, and he was concerned about this breach of standards. I told him they had not been required for years, and he was surprised. I then helped him catch up on the other changes to standards and procedures that had taken place in the last decade or so.

There is no advantage to a shop taking or copying knowledge reviews; in fact, it creates a major storage problem with all those fat student folders taking up file drawer space. A shop that is still doing it can only be doing it out of ignorance. If they don't know about this change 11 years after it happened, what other changes are they unaware of? Are they even teaching to the new standards?

About 6 years after PADI stopped requiring the collection of knowledge reviews, I moved to a different shop. After several months of instructing, the owner said that it had come to his attention that I was not collecting knowledge reviews, and he was concerned about this breach of standards. I told him they had not been required for years, and he was surprised. I then helped him catch up on the other changes to standards and procedures that had taken place in the last decade or so.

There is no advantage to a shop taking or copying knowledge reviews; in fact, it creates a major storage problem with all those fat student folders taking up file drawer space. A shop that is still doing it can only be doing it out of ignorance. If they don't know about this change 11 years after it happened, what other changes are they unaware of? Are they even teaching to the new standards?

I think the issue is that the requirement to collect knowledge reviews was changed. The collection is not required, but it is left up to the individual instructor or shop. Some shops still see it as a risk management practice (whether it remains an valid risk management practice or not). As I mentioned in an earlier post, PADI still mentions the collection or copy of knowledge reviews in the PADI's Guide to Teaching manual. So 11 years after the change, PADI is still indicating that copy or collection is acceptable, although not required.

No need to write in your manuals at all. If you wanted to, you could copy the KRs, use the copies and then sell your unused books on Fleabay after the course.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom