PADI Knowledge Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS currently has us complete the knowledge reviews, then students photocopy them and they collect the photocopies of the competed KRs.
Not sure exactly when this changed. My manuals from courses in 2003 and 2007 both have the KRs ripped out. By 2013 or so, my books all still contain the completed KRs and the shop collected photocopies.

There is no advantage to a shop taking or copying knowledge reviews; in fact, it creates a major storage problem with all those fat student folders taking up file drawer space. A shop that is still doing it can only be doing it out of ignorance. If they don't know about this change 11 years after it happened, what other changes are they unaware of? Are they even teaching to the new standards?

I totally agree. I go through the same thing at work. It took me 2 years to convince my boss we can do everything online, and at the end of a job, he still wants copies of all the important stuff in a physical folder.

To be honest, there was a guy @ my OW dives that I have a feeling never turned them in. As far as I know he wasn't penalized. I think it was more of a way to try to get people to read the chapters, do the KR's.

Are they a good PADI shop? Who knows, but they taught me a lot, were all about safety, and let people make payments on anything new (computers, gear, classes), and they do it "on the arm", which is pretty unheard of these days. And the thing that I liked the most is, never once did anyone try to get me to get more than I needed. As a matter of fact, they steered me towards cheaper alternatives, and told me to wait before buying anything. They haven't made a ton of money off of me, but they did get a customer for at least a long time. As a matter of fact, I drive away from another dive shop in the opposite direction just to go 15 minutes farther to this one. I like them and they seem upfront with everything they do.

As a Padi Instructor I would never rip pages from a O.W. manual-this is property of student. What I did was scanned in all 5 seperate Knowledge Reviews and created a
pdf which I give copies to each of my student to fill out and I collect and keep in their records. You are correct Padi Standards do not require collecting knowledge reviews but
is a good practice at Instructor's discretion to proof that each student actually read the materials and understands basics before I put students into water..

but
is a good practice at Instructor's discretion to proof that each student actually read the materials and understands basics before I put students into water..
To whom are you providing that proof? Yourself? Someone else?

to myself and with the advent of this lawsuit happy culture to keep complete records for myself on all students.

You’ll be happy then with new implementation of OLPC. No need to do that any more.

Online PIC processing...students will be inputting their own data into the PADI cloud.

If an instructor or shop wants to keep copies of the Knowledge Reviews for non-eLearning courses, I don't see where the new OLPC does anything to change that.

If an instructor or shop wants to keep copies of the Knowledge Reviews for non-eLearning courses, I don't see where the new OLPC does anything to change that.
They are welcome to keep a copy, but not to tear pages out of my book.

Back
Top Bottom