PADI DM 400M freestyle and 15M tread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mistakenly read the 15 minute float as with your hands out of the water the WHOLE time. I can now do a 15 minute float with hands out and dry for 15 minutes. (it helps) in that part, to be shaped like a manatee.

Just for fun, I tried 800 m swim with fins, mask, and snorkel. I found that I could really move if my lower body and legs were twisted at a 45 degree angle and my upper body more horizontal with the lower arm straight out in front and the higher arm back at my hip. Then my fins wouldn’t break the surface at all and I could use my full natural finned flutter kick. It’s like being stuck in a sidestroke transition.

Going to bump this up as I have an question: Do you complete all the swimming tests in one day, consecutively, or broken throughout the course?

Question #2: For those that did the 400/800 in a pool, were you able to do any form of push off?

Going to bump this up as I have an question: Do you complete all the swimming tests in one day, consecutively, or broken throughout the course?

Question #2: For those that did the 400/800 in a pool, were you able to do any form of push off?

Check with the person administering the test.

I do not know since I had to do it in a quarry, Merely having the pool lanes in the pool is a big help. I am sure my swims looked like a destroyer trying to evade submarines.

I guess it depends on the instructor but I can tell you I've completed the 800 but not the 400 and am able to do it in a pool and push off is allowed. As long as they are completed in the allotted amount of time.

My guess is any of the watermanship can be completed anytime during the course. Our instructor had us do them all in the same day and I would also guess that is the norm just for convenience of scheduling. I had to re-do the 400 after some lap practice. I would doubt PADI has any specifics on when each test must be done.

I did them on different days in the pool. Being an ex-competitive swimmer I didn't ask and just did flip turns and my regular push offs on the 400. I did flip turns on the 800 as well. But it all depends on what your instructor allows.

I don't recall any standard regarding same or different days. Even if the first attempt is all on the same day, I would expect that anything you have to re-do on a later day to improve a score will be done piecemeal, allowing the "good" scores from the first day to stand as is.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll be stopping in a few days and will bring my question list. I've been getting some swimming in and have 2 months to go before class starts. No excuses for this guy. I am pretty excited for the course to start. Thank you GI Bill.

Back
Top Bottom