PADI Divemaster 800m snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm assuming use of a mask and snorkel is a requirement. If not, skip them and get an $8 pair of swimming goggles (which is probably $20 now).

I'm assuming use of a mask and snorkel is a requirement. If not, skip them and get an $8 pair of swimming goggles (which is probably $20 now).
The stated requirement is:
Swim 800 metres/yards face down, using mask, snorkel and fins, nonstop, without flotation aids and without using arms to swim.
It is a scuba class and cert; I'm confident "mask" means scuba mask, not eye goggles, and "snorkel" means scuba snorkel, not swim snorkel. Part of the intent is to show one can get to a victim some distance away using one's scuba gear.

You can still get $5 goggles, whether you'd want to is another question... if it's for just this one-off pool session, they may be worth it.

You can still get $5 goggles, whether you'd want to is another question... if it's for just this one-off pool session, they may be worth it.
Nah, they don't meet the requirement of the exercise.

Nah, they don't meet the requirement of the exercise.
Just to add to what Tursiops wrote, if a DM on a boat spies someone needing assistance in the distance, he or she is supposed to don fins, mask, and snorkel quickly, jump in the water, and get there as fast as possible. This exercise demonstrates the ability to do that.

Like others have stated, getting the right push off the wall is huuuuge. Watched beginner swimmers take off almost two minutes on a 500 meter swim. Only changing that one critical movement. Plenty of good YouTube videos or if there's a swim instructor available you could learn how it little time and practice. Good Luck!

Everybody wants to push off the wall. That is not strictly allowed, either at first entry or on a turn..

Just to add to what Tursiops wrote, if a DM on a boat spies someone needing assistance in the distance, he or she is supposed to don fins, mask, and snorkel quickly, jump in the water, and get there as fast as possible. This exercise demonstrates the ability to do that.
Yes, I've thought of that. I think the mfs 800 is a more logical test for any diver than the 300m swim. Perhaps this would be a good substitute (maybe 400m) for the OW course instead of the 200 meter swim? How many times will you be afloat without access to fins?

Everybody wants to push off the wall. That is not strictly allowed, either at first entry or on a turn..
I did not know that and really pushed off back in 2010. Then again, there were maybe 20 turns to do (?) so that may have offset the time it took to do them? The instructor didn't say anything anyway.

If you tilt a bit to the side, you get better traction with your fins. No slapping the water.
Also, you can keep your arms at your sides and flap your hands. You'd be surprised how much that can propel you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom