PADI BS or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think teaching diving just might be a business? I'm sure he is making money or at least I hope so and if he is maybe he'll still be around next year. You don't like it go to another instructor

I love it! The same old LDS argument like where are you going to get your tanks filled, if you don't... Such a stupid, pig headed mentality that it defies imagination. If passing on a book so that another person can use it to become certified is a 'bad thing', then Padi is chasing pennies while losing dollars.

All I said is that the instructor just might be treating it as a business. I also said if they didn't like it go to another instructor. I understand someone doesn't want to destroy they're book. On the other hand if someone can't afford a book may they just can't afford to dive at this time. By the way dive centers and instructor have to make pennies to make dollars (3 stores have gone out of business in our area just this year & they are all different agencies). I'm sure selling a book wouldn't have keep them in business.

Last edited:
I am currently pursuing PADI DM... I have never torn a page from any book, and neither has my wife who is also certified and working on her Master Diver...

We have trained with two different LDSs and neither require the pages to be torn out...

Fact of the matter, I prefer to hand write all questions and then the correct answer... No photo copies at all. I explained it to the course director and he agreed (consulted with PADI and got their approval), there is a 95% increase in material retention (I am a corporate training officer in my other job) by writing out the full question and the full answer.

Ask him to clarify with PADI on the issue, as you should do so yourself. Tearing up YOUR property to suit him is idiotic at best.

For those of you stating it's total BS, as I stated earlier, it didn't used to be. This instructor is just not keeping up with the quarterly updates. Whether right or wrong, PADI did used to have this standard in place up until about 3 or 4 years ago. It's a fairly recent change.

I was not allowed to turn in copies of my knowledge reviews. I kind of like the idea of my originals in my file though. Once I'm done with the class I have no need for the reviews, the only reason I would keep the book is for reference. But I understand where you're coming from.

I think its funny that people actually have a problem with this because they really expect to at some point go back and read their knowledge reviews to refresh their memories. I would love nothing more than for students to actually go back and reread the book when they forget something. As we all know, it rarely happens.

Speak for yourself. I have kept all my books with the KR's completed and I DO review them from time to time. I cannot see what a dive instructor/shop would want with thousands of KR's from all their students anyway - they would need huge filing cabinets - or do they just toss them after marking them? :shakehead:
I have never torn anything out of a book or photocopied either. I just take my completed KR's into the dive shop and and the instructor marks and signs them, then records that into my student record file.

ave kept all my books with the KR's completed and I DO review them from time to time. I cannot see what a dive instructor/shop would want with thousands of KR's from all their students anyway - they would need huge filing cabinets - or do they just toss them after marking them? :shakehead:

A few years ago when PADI required instructors/shops to collect the KRs, the instructors/shops were also required to keep them on file for 7 years after the training was completed. We still need to keep student files for 7 years. We just don't need to have the KRs in them, just a written record that we did review them.

As mentioned by Dive-a-holic and James Bond;
It seems that a more reasonable policy has been in effect for some time. A simple notation and intials in a students file suffice.
As to PADI trying to get people to destroy or render books unuasable they have neatly circumvented this by requiring students to buy a new book for each cert (I believe the cards are keyed to the book somehow).

As to PADI trying to get people to destroy or render books unuasable they have neatly circumvented this by requiring students to buy a new book for each cert (I believe the cards are keyed to the book somehow).

That's only happening in certain areas overseas. It hasn't been instituted in the US yet.

As to PADI trying to get people to destroy or render books unusable they have neatly circumvented this by requiring students to buy a new book for each cert (I believe the cards are keyed to the book somehow).

I don't think the cert cards could be keyed to buying a particular book. My husband and I both did Nitrox within the last year and used the same book. The dive shop didn't make me buy a new one. He had completed his KR's in ink in the book and I redid them in pencil alongside and both were signed off separately by the instructor. (PS I did pay separately for the course, but saved a few $ on whatever the book cost.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom