PADI 5-Star Water World sued for selling toxic scuba tank air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without knowing anything other than what is posted here, my comment would be; If the air caused him brain damage ad they were sure this shop was at fault then why didn't they bother to try and notify the diving public about this until now?

Let's assume the suit is legitimate. How many other people could have been hurt in the meantime. I wholeheartedly agree that this entire thing is very odd.

Has anybody else ever gotten a bad air fill? I have only had one bad fill out of around 200 tanks and the air smelled fine. About ten minutes into the dive I started to feel sick, but thought it just an upset belly. Another ten minutes or so and I called the dive as the naseau was getting really bad. Once on the surface, I had almost no strength at all. After about twenty more minutes the naseau went away and my strength returned.

I spoke with the LDS about the fill and they claimed it was probably just bad food or something. Later, I found out from one of the DMs at the shop that they had just failed some kind of periodic air test and that the compressor had been recently serviced to fix the issue. The DM figures that I got one of the tanks that had been filled and sitting around since before the problem had been discovered. (The tanks were rentals from the store.) Needless to say, I don't use that shop anymore... even if it is walking distance from my house.

The whole point of this is that you cannot always tell if air is bad by the smell. Granted, bad smelling air is always bad, but good smelling air is not always good. Listen to your body while underwater. I should have called the dive immediately when I started to feel sick rather than try to push it. I would have been in pretty bad shape had I not had a buddy at the end. I had no energy at all and could barely pull myself out of the water back into the dingy.

Seuss:
Has anybody else ever gotten a bad air fill? I have only had one bad fill out of around 200 tanks and the air smelled fine. About ten minutes into the dive I started to feel sick, but thought it just an upset belly. Another ten minutes or so and I called the dive as the naseau was getting really bad. Once on the surface, I had almost no strength at all. After about twenty more minutes the naseau went away and my strength returned.

I spoke with the LDS about the fill and they claimed it was probably just bad food or something. Later, I found out from one of the DMs at the shop that they had just failed some kind of periodic air test and that the compressor had been recently serviced to fix the issue. The DM figures that I got one of the tanks that had been filled and sitting around since before the problem had been discovered. (The tanks were rentals from the store.) Needless to say, I don't use that shop anymore... even if it is walking distance from my house.

The whole point of this is that you cannot always tell if air is bad by the smell. Granted, bad smelling air is always bad, but good smelling air is not always good. Listen to your body while underwater. I should have called the dive immediately when I started to feel sick rather than try to push it. I would have been in pretty bad shape had I not had a buddy at the end. I had no energy at all and could barely pull myself out of the water back into the dingy.

I've gone through over 2000 tanks of air and 150 tanks of nitrox and have never had a bad one.

I got a bad fill from Jupiter Dive Center. I thumbed a dive cuz I got tunnel vision at about 60 feet. On the surface the air was smelling bad. I never bothered to sniff it before.

Opening the tanks, there was oil in the bottom. Had to get them O2 cleaned again at $25 per tank.

groo:
Without knowing anything other than what is posted here, my comment would be; If the air caused him brain damage ad they were sure this shop was at fault then why didn't they bother to try and notify the diving public about this until now?

Let's assume the suit is legitimate. How many other people could have been hurt in the meantime. I wholeheartedly agree that this entire thing is very odd.
From the shop owner's comment, it is pretty clear that the story is not news to him, because he commented on it as if he remembered what happened; the filing of the lawsuit may have been news to him. We don't know how much the accident was publicized at the time it happened, or whether it was reported to local health authorities, or to the shop owner's certification agency, etc.

If you cannot reach an agreement to settle a lawsuit, it is not unusual for the injured person's lawyer to wait as long as possible to file a lawsuit (how long you can wait is determined by the statute of limitations), where the injured person has a condition that has not stabilized, or that may be getting worse, or where the evidence of long-term effects is not yet clear. With brain damage, you have the question of whether the person will recover 100% of their normal function in a year or two or three - if you wait three years, you know whether (and how much) brain function has been lost or recovered, instead of guessing about it.

If the injured man had his tank filled and immediately dove in the pool where this accident happened, and the dive owner (or somebody) discovered at the time that the air was "malodorous," you would not expect a lot of other people to have suffered the same problem, because any tanks that had just been filled at the same time would still be there to be checked and emptied if they were also filled with bad air. (That may also be why the shop owner knows it was the air he sold to the injured diver, although that is speculative interpretation of limited facts.)

Say what you want about a diver's responsibility for his own safety, if the air was "malodorous" coming out of the regulator, it was malodorous going into the tank, and it should have been noticed then and there. The person who is best equipped to assure the safety of the air going into the tank is the person who fills it, not some diver relying on a "sniff" test.

Some of us do not have a very good sense of smell (myself included), and sniffing air on a boat where the wind is blowing and a thousand other smells are in the air is not the best way to check for air quality. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea to sniff anyway, but I think you're kidding yourself if you think it is a reliable test for bad air, when half of the things that can mess you up have no odor, anyway.

One other thing - if they were able to report exactly how much carbon monoxide, methane, etc. were in the tank, then obviously the tank was isolated and tested after this occurred. I think it is more likely than not that the incident was investigated and known at the time, and we're only hearing about it now because of the lawsuit.

I once got a tank of bad air. There was a forest fire in the area and my tank was filled with lots of smoke in the air. I didn't notice anything until about 30 minutes into my dive. I got very ill and had to go to the hospital where they gave me a shot of something to rush it through my system.

No brain damage, at least I didn't notice it. The dive shop has since changed it's filtering system and of course wouldn't fill tanks during a forest fire now even at gunpoint.

:)

Al Mialkovsky:
No brain damage, at least I didn't notice it

:33:

one and one and one is....?

Al Mialkovsky:
I once got a tank of bad air. [snip]

No brain damage, at least I didn't notice it. [snip]

Did you get a refund?

Quick: What's 1 plus 1 minus 1.9999150322223?

:D

Andy,

1+1 is too easy. Even I know the answer to that one by just using my fingers.

A friend of mine got a bad air fill at Catalina Island a few years ago. He started getting dizzy and vomited into his regulator at about 80 feet. He made it to the surface but was still having a problem. As a precaution they made him take a ride in the chamber free of charge because they were worried about his rapid accent rate. He didn't have any long term problems, but I see how it could have very easily killed him.

I wonder...........could a O2 testor used for nitrox mixes detect bad air? Or would you need to have a C02 detector??

Makes me think that I might want to buy a co2 meter.

Back
Top Bottom