PADI 5 Star Givin to only 10 Shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
Just wondering if I'm getting my leg pulled here... The shop I went to for all my gear and certifications told me on my first phone call with them that they are a PADI 5 Star shop and that PADI only awards this to the top 10 locations world-wide.... I did a search in the PADI database and there are about four 5-Star shops within 50 miles of my home. Maybe I misunderstood him, could someone clear this up for me?

Sorry, But I suspect your lLDS is trying take you a little.

There is no limit to the number of "5 Star" certificates Padi gives out to my knowledge. Any Padi certified shop can earn a 5 Star rating by meeting certain requirements.

Not sure however exactly what those requirements are and will try to look that up and get back to you on it.

SpyderTek

I guess they said they received the PADI Certification of Recognition For Excellence Award, and are ALSO a 5-Star dealer.

Sorry.

RUN! Don't walk away from this shop. Either they are completely ignorant or (more likely) are trying to pull a fast one. :upset:

PADI doesn't quite dole out their 5 star status to every shop, but I've set foot in many more than 10 worldwide. Conservatively, there are hundreds.

According to the PADI Instructor Manual, to obtain a PADI 5 Star Dive Center rating a shop must only issue and advertise PADI certifications for recreational scuba diving courses. Also they must have had no verified Quality Assurance violations in the preceding 12 months and have no open QA inquiries in progress. Other requirements include meeting some minimal standards for community involvement, teaching advanced courses.

I will wait for those far more knowledgeable to give the final answer but a PADI 5 star only refers to the type of training that is available at a shop, The rating is given to any shop that meets the requirements, my knee jerk reaction is that the shop unable to stand on it's own merits, so rather tear down another to make them look good, I would avoid that shop.

wow

let me add this because of the fantastic timing of the replies and in answer to your comment, again PADI will give that Award to any shop that meets the requirements reguardless of how many shops meet that criteria.

Originally posted by Murdock325:
I guess they said they received the PADI Certification of Recognition For Excellence Award, and are ALSO a 5-Star dealer.

I am unaware of any "Certification of Recognition For Excellence Award." That does not mean it doesn't exist, but I am highly suspect.

PADI routinely issues Dive Center Recognition Awards in three areas: Education Awards, Community Involvement Awards, and Environment Awards. To be a 5 Star Center, a shop must have received all three of these awards.

My suggestion is still to look elsewhere. I think you are not being dealt with honestly.

man is that shop in la....la land, meet the requirements and of course pay them their money and your in. they may limit the amount of idc centers in a given area especially in smaller market areas like here in some canadian cities, but then again money becomes an issue, pay them buy lots of teaching supplies certify lots of divers and keep the cheques flowing and it's amazing what you can get.

Originally posted by Murdock325
I did a search in the PADI database and there are about four 5-Star shops within 50 miles of my home. Maybe I misunderstood him, could someone clear this up for me?

Also, I'm not sure that search would even show every 5 star shop.

I was involved in redoing the website for my LDS and the owner wouldn't let us put a link to PADI anywhere in the site (we did put the PADI 5 star logos/icons etc) as he was mad that PADI will not put a link to a LDS website unless the LDS pays a fee for it.

He called PADI and told them that he would pay a fee for a link TO his site only if they paid a fee back for a link FROM his site as well... :)

Put Another Dollar In...

I must really live in the "Diving Mecca of the Freeworld."

There are 3 here in Oklahoma, so that leaves just 7 for the rest of the world.

Eat your heart out!

ID

Charter member of DABWOD

Back
Top Bottom