packing your gear on international trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterDentist

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a dumb question but I am going to ask, anyway..

How do you lug your gear around during international travel (particularly you backpacking folks)? I will be traveling soon and am a little unsure the best method to carry not only my dive gear but my other necessities on a backpacking trip around Asia. Do you use 2 packs or have a particular size/style/brand that works well? I have a big bag with wheels for normal trips but am concerned getting that around.

Thanks!

I have always taken my roll on for my BC, wetsuit, lights & fins. I also take a backpack, that I carry-on if the trip is 2 weeks or less. I use a North Face Terra 40, about as big as carry-on will allow. I pack my reg, mask & computer in with all my clothes. I don't mind renting the stuff in my roll on, so if I was going to be backpacking, I would not take the stuff in the roll-on. In fact if I was truely backpacking, I wouldn't take any dive gear. Too heavy to lug around for weeks at a time only to be used a few times.

Here's my thoughts/ideas:

• Choose a heavy duty roller bag that doesn't have gear or scuba logos on it that say "steal me".
  • Use the TSA travel locks
  • In addition to the TSA Travel Locks, put a zip tie on each lock connection so you can tell if the TSA locks have been open.
  • Have spare locks in case those get cut off
  • Carry regulator, dive computer and any camera gear as "carry on" if possible. It's the most expensive and likely to be stolen. I put all this in one roller bag that will fit in the overhead.
  • carry on your certification card and log books. Hard to replace in timely manner.
  • If you have a perscription mask, carry it on also. Hard to replace in a timely manner.

I have a large Oceanic back pack with all of the scuba gear. Carry that bag with you if possible. Get a roller piece of luggage big enough for all other needed items. I found this the easiest most confortable way to get around.

Ok, this is going to sound a little crazy and yes a little expensive. But here is what I did once when I wanted my dive gear at three different resorts in three different countries but I did not want to have to carry it as I was going to be using taxies and moving around alot between the three dive locations. I got one of those hard boxes with wheels on it and loaded my gear. I then had it shipped via UPS special delivery to each site. I think the total shipping came to around $250 but it was well worth it. Just tell the manager at each resort to be on the lookout for it for you. Every place I went, my gear box was in my room when I arrived. Nice!

Get a Pelican with a roller that will fit all your gear.

I use a roller/backpack bag and and backpack carryon.

The longest item is usually the fins, so you need one that will fit them. I have a jansport, but there are several that work nice. 26 -30 inches, depending of the fins.

Backpacking with dive gear, though, really sucks because of the weight. I almost never use the straps on the large bag to carry it.

REI also has several nice bags that work well.

I pack 48 - 49 pounds in the big bag and the carry on is around 18 lbs. Normally the dive gear is dropped off and the carry on bag is used for hiking.

The above weight is good for everything, for at least two weeks, including wetsuit and UW camera, but you need really, really light weight clothing.

kent_1848:
I have always taken my roll on for my BC, wetsuit, lights & fins. I also take a backpack, that I carry-on if the trip is 2 weeks or less. I use a North Face Terra 40, about as big as carry-on will allow. I pack my reg, mask & computer in with all my clothes. I don't mind renting the stuff in my roll on, so if I was going to be backpacking, I would not take the stuff in the roll-on. In fact if I was truely backpacking, I wouldn't take any dive gear. Too heavy to lug around for weeks at a time only to be used a few times.

Kent...thanks for the tip on the North Face pack.

I like this idea a lot.

Have you ever had any problems with airlines giving you a hassle with the size of the pack? Has any attendant ever said, "Nope, too big. You have to check it." ????

Or...is the size within the typical dimensions?

Appreciate your feedback...

I found the pack by going onto airline restrictions, and then finding the biggest pack that fit those specifications. Unfortunately, if you are still on a tiny plane you will have to gate check it, but you get it right after you get off the plane, so it hasn't been a really big deal for me.

UnderwaterDentist:
Perhaps this is a dumb question but I am going to ask, anyway..

How do you lug your gear around during international travel (particularly you backpacking folks)? I will be traveling soon and am a little unsure the best method to carry not only my dive gear but my other necessities on a backpacking trip around Asia. Do you use 2 packs or have a particular size/style/brand that works well? I have a big bag with wheels for normal trips but am concerned getting that around.

Thanks!

As others have recommended, I use a nondescript L.L. Bean roller duffle - size large for my check-in bag. It ends up at about 45 lbs. I also have two carry on bags one a simple Eastpak daybag for touring about town and for daily necessities on the dive boat. Another carry on is for my clothes, toiletries, etc. Now it all depends on which airline you take and what country you are in as far as the baggage restrictions go. I flew EVA from Seattle - they were very fussy about my carry-on luggage - could not be more than 10 kilograms. Well I had my reg in the larger carry-on and some books. I had to distribute the heavier stuff to my check on and day pack (which they didn't seem to be concerned about). On the return trip from Manila there was no concern whatsoever of the weight of my carry-on luggage. Go figure.

I have tried the big backpack and duffle for the check-on luggage but found that getting from the airport to the taxi and back again is a real hassle with a heavy bag. This last trip was much easier with a roller duffle. I could carry my other bag on top once I got the duffle at the baggage carrousel. It would have been a little more convenient if the roller bag would stand up straight once on it's wheels.

I am not the best packer in the world. I always find I have packed too much. So I would recommend really sorting through your gear and only take the essentials. There are some tools, extra computer, clothes, etc. that I will not take again.

Good luck. If you find you took too much stuff, get a box and ship it back home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom