packing your gear on international trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocrmaster:
Get a Pelican with a roller that will fit all your gear.

Under water dentisit this is what i have. A large pelican case which fits all my gear in it, as well as under water housing, although i do have a small digital sony etc so the housing etc isnt large at all.

I travel alot, mainly Usa to Australia and i always take my gear with me. I just dont put dive stickers on the case.

Do as others have said and take regs/gauges/computer in a reg bag as carry on and you should be ok.

Ive always found it a good idea too when going by plane, when you book your tickets make sure you tell them youve got dive gear and when reconfirming tickets i make sure they know so i dont get charged for extra weight.
I must say ive never had problems with Qantas or British Airways.

tracy

As a frequent traveler to SE Asia, alot of thought has gone into how I should carry my gear, clothes and essential travel items. I use only 'one major bag' and one carry on.
I am sure other bags 'may work', but lately I have been using the Akone 144, it's big, but does the job.
Use TSA locks all around (one on each side pocket to hold the fins and other gear, and one on the main hold), I also use the protective cover they send with it, although mine is now 'very used' and full of holes (sure keeps the bag like new). Along with my dive gear, I have managed to stuff all my clothes, and gear into (or on the top and sides) the main compartment. I use 'compression bags' for my clothes as well.
I would have to agree with the others, I 'carry on' my regulator, computer, camera and other 'must haves' with me in a large back pack/roller.
By the time this bag is full, ( I have even carried several kilos of soft weight) it can weigh at or about 32 kgs. which is maximum for 'transpacific' (check with your airline first), so I have had no charges there. Where I get burned is the local flights between SE Asia countries and especially 'inter island' (alot in the Philippines).
Lastly I buy DAN gear insurance, they cover everything including theft, as long as you have a police report. Usually the bag is 'so heavy' you would have to be Arnold Schwarzenegger to move it, so I don't worry about someone running off with it.
The only problem I have had with the Akona gear is this last trip, I 'really jammed it full' and while zipping it up, I tore the stitching on the outside fin pockets ever so slightly, but otherwise the Akona gear is 'bullet proof'!

Remember clothes (t-shirts, shorts, snadles etc..) are dirt cheap. so no need to pack to much as you only need a couple of changes and buy a bit more whenever you need it.

I would discourage the use of Pelican cases. I know there are a lot of people out there who use them but please allow me to explain why before you start posting things like
"I've used a Pelican case for 10 years and never had a problem"

Anyway, here at work we have 8 employees who travel about 80% of the time performing software demonstrations of our products. Each carries one Pelican case (that holds about $12K worth of computer equipment, these cases are locked with TSA padlocks), a regular suitcase (for their personal belongings), and a laptop case (which holds 3 laptops and is carried on board).

Over the past 12 months we have had three of the pelican cases (with all equipment) stolen. And in another case, the Pelican case made it to it's destination, however it was empty. The thefts have occured somewhere between check-in, TSA and luggage handlers.

When placing claims with the airline in question we have been told by their claims people and the sales agent assigned to our account, that pelican cases (even without fancy stickers) are prime targets for theft.

We are currently moving to a hard side samsonite suitcase with built in TSA locks that will be stuffed with the Pelican style packing foam in hopes that this looking like any other suitcase will eliminate the theft problem we have experienced.

Hi all......

After reading through all your discussions about travel bags, thought I would offer a suggestion. I am leaving for Tahiti in Feb with the same issue for inter-island flights and bag weight. Weight restrictions on inter-island flights appear to be fairly consistent - 44 lbs. non-divers and 55 lbs for divers (with their ccard) - total weight for all bags combined (per Air Tahiti and Air Moorea).
I usually deal with Leisure Pro for these types of accessories and the sales rep suggested the following bag : Blue Reef Explorer Rolling Duffel. Bag weight is 8 lbs. so it would allow up to 47 lbs of gear..... and better yet, it is only $49.95. I have checked eBags and several other bag outlets and the Blue Reef bag appears to be the best bet.
Also...... Mark's suggestion about DAN Diver Gear insurance is definately worth it !! Its affordable and very easy and hassle free to file claims. As Mark said, have a police report and be sure you have serial numbers from your gear and model nos.I also take pictures of each item and keep in a safe place.

Hope this helps with travel needs.

Check with your Airline company some of them does not charge over weight for sport gear... in this case Pelican is the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom