Info Packing, Travel, Resort Info, and Diving Tips for the SB Invasion 2022 to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to take my daughter snorkeling in the afternoon after our morning dives. Do I have to book an excursion or is the snorkeling good just from the hotel?
There is a nice sheltered area to snorkel in as you can see in the picture. If she's capable, you can also venture outside of that area along the wall and roped-off areas. Do keep in mind, that sometimes the current can get strong, but usually not. Also if she's age-appropriate, Dive Paradise offers a free discovery scuba. And if you like once we're there and you feel she may want more, you could book a snorkeling trip or venture to Chankanaab for the afternoon.
1650368272079.png

I've gained quite a bit of weight and cant bring my typical 3mm. Is it recommended to buy and bring it or are they shops on cozumel that I can buy from or are the prices inflated at cozumel? Thanks!

I've gained quite a bit of weight and cant bring my typical 3mm. Is it recommended to buy and bring it or are they shops on cozumel that I can buy from or are the prices inflated at cozumel? Thanks!
I would suggest buying one beforehand. I think you'll get a better deal.

There is a nice sheltered area to snorkel in as you can see in the picture. If she's capable, you can also venture outside of that area along the wall and roped-off areas. Do keep in mind, that sometimes the current can get strong, but usually not. Also if she's age-appropriate, Dive Paradise offers a free discovery scuba. And if you like once we're there and you feel she may want more, you could book a snorkeling trip or venture to Chankanaab for the afternoon.
View attachment 718363
I highly recommend some type of water shoe if you use the area above.

In the Diving Tips section it is stated that dive knives are prohibited in Cozumel. Does anyone know if dive shears are allowed? I have not seen them mentioned but am wondering if they too would be considered a prohibited diving item.

In the Diving Tips section it is stated that dive knives are prohibited in Cozumel. Does anyone know if dive shears are allowed? I have not seen them mentioned but am wondering if they too would be considered a prohibited diving item.
Yes, I'm sorry, I should have added those as well. I'll make that correction.

I purchased some cruelty-free, reef safe sunscreen before a weekend trip to the keys this month, and the dive operator told me a lot of sunscreens are now doing a voluntary recall because one of the most popular sunscreen ingredients, avobenzone, is definitely NOT reef safe. Sure enough, my "reef safe" product contained avobenzone, so I was asked not to use it. Just thought I would share this tip to look at the active ingredients, and don't just trust the "reef safe" label on the front of the package. It might save somebody some $$ or save a coral somewhere. :)
June

PS: They recommended Stream2Sea as a safer option. That's the brand I usually buy anyway, so I was happy to hear they're still not harmful to the fishes and reefs. 🐟🦂🐢

In the event anyone would be so inclined, the Cozumel Humane Society is always appreciative of needed item donations from travelers. Getting items is expensive there as it's an island without a lot of direct shipping links. I generally take gently-used dog collars and leashes and some medical supplies (gauze, vetwrap, rolls of cotton, other bandage materials); there's a wish list on the Society's website at www.humanecozumel.org/listadedeseos?lang=en

The Society also has a sea turtle rescue wish list. From Lisa Ramirez, a Cozumel Humane Society officer: "On behalf of Rafael Chacón and the official turtle project we are sending a list of much needed supplies that you can order and bring down to Cozumel. Please when ordering make sure you put your own address for the delivery. www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/8I4UDN77QVZ0#"

Travel Checklist
I have a travel checklist that I keep on file and printout for each trip. We'll send it out in the next email and you may use it if you like or make your own list.

[/QUOTE]
@ROXANNE Did I miss your checklist email? 🤪

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom