packing regulators in hold luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They will open it one way or another and then place a notice inside your bag explaining what had happened. BTW, they have keys to open certain locks but figure out how do they open others. Combination lock is definitely....... I never lock my bag if it is going/transit in USA.

Yeah one way or another. TSA does not always leave a note and they do not always have keys for locks so they just cut them off. The picture is of a lock they could not cut off. So instead they destroyed the zipper pulls.

TSA agents are not very bright. They once could not figure out how to get a box out of my duffle bag. The TSA FO pulled the tapes, he described it being like the three stooges. They finally cut the box open which the resulted in the item being damaged.

LockPicture.jpg

You were allowed to pack a wrench in your hand carry!!!!!! Not a chance in HK and Philippines.
Once I had to remove the HID light head from the hand carry because of the cable!!!! Luckily the bulb survived during the transit in the cargo hold.
Cable ties were also confiscated once in Philippines.

And what was the reason for confiscating cable ties, is there perhaps a shortage of cable ties in Philippines?

They will open it one way or another and then place a notice inside your bag explaining what had happened. BTW, they have keys to open certain locks but figure out how do they open others. Combination lock is definitely....... I never lock my bag if it is going/transit in USA.

They cut them or cut your bag, one way or another they will get inside it. That's why you should have TSA approved locks, which they can open. The mystery remains if you have one of those will they get in anyway?

Yeah one way or another. TSA does not always leave a note and they do not always have keys for locks so they just cut them off. The picture is of a lock they could not cut off. So instead they destroyed the zipper pulls.

TSA agents are not very bright. They once could not figure out how to get a box out of my duffle bag. The TSA FO pulled the tapes, he described it being like the three stooges. They finally cut the box open which the resulted in the item being damaged.

View attachment 203380

wow that is so retarded, they tried to cut the body of the lock? doh...somehow i imagine one guy with a nail file trying to cut through it, haven't they heard of bolt cutters?
Definitely not the brightest tool in the shed the TSA employees.
One of our experiences was to ask us to unroll the whole safety sausage.

I was in a foreign country(Philippines) and certainly not going to antagonize the security personnel on some cable ties.

I carry my regs, mask, and computer as carry-on. If my luggage gets delayed I will at least have enough of my own equipment to dive with. I'll rent a bcd if I have to, but I want my own life support gear. Plus, I LOVE watching the TSA clowns open the case and freak out when they see all of that equipment that they don't understand.

Only flew a few times with octos. I wrap them in many towels and then stuck them in my bag with my clothes. They are then well padded.

I have no guilt in taking yet another turn with this thread: We in the continental US must mail our scuba lights with the lithium batteries inside the unit via surface mail, they cannot be mailed due to the possibility they could start a fire in the cargo hold... So with all of us who take our lights on vacation...on an airplane...I have to wonder when this will become an issue. It just doesn't make any darn sense to prohibit it via the mail, but not on our plane trips. (And don't get me started about firearms...declare those...unload them...gunpowder is flammable last time I checked...and then fly those little buggers too....)

Shhhhhh....don't tell them!!!!

Back
Top Bottom