Packing BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mathgeek2

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm converting to a BP&W and making my first trip to the Carribean. I'm a bit concerned about damaging the wings with a backplate packed in the same duffel. Any advice on how to pack the backplate and wings?

Thanks!

MathGeek

Wrap the backplate up in a towel, or sweatshirt, jacket, pants, or some other article of clothing. Be sure to put the wing in the center of your luggage (if not hard sided). This will help to protect it. You could also get one of those little plastic tubs (Action Packer, or something similar) and use that for travel, and it will protect things much more than a soft sided duffle or piece of luggage. I have heard someone on this board puts one of those plastic tubs inside of a duffle, and it works nice for him...

I always get a kick out of people who use a BP at home, but then 'have a travel BC for use in the Carribean" or something like that. I never understood that - nothing, and I mean NOTHING packs smaller than a BP and wing. Especially one of those Oxycheq 18 lb wings, or even a Pioneer 27.

The only caution worth noting is that a SS bp may be too much weight for the exposure protection you intend on wearing. You may want to consider an AL plate.

my bp is at the bottom of the bag. then i add a layer of clothes, then the wing, then another layer of clothes, then whatever else. bp/wings are perfect for travel.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem at all if I use some clothes to cushion things.

BP goes on the bottom of the suitcase, then some clothes, then i roll up the wing and pack some more clothes, wetsuit, etc around it.

-Frank

Yep Lubold....that would be me....or at least I am one that does it. Got the container at LOWES very cheaply and wrap a couple of suitcase straps around it so it wont pop open with the luggage ape handling. The bcd I put in there is a SeaQuest Pro QD and it works very nicely.

Boogie711:
I always get a kick out of people who use a BP at home, but then 'have a travel BC for use in the Carribean" or something like that. I never understood that - nothing, and I mean NOTHING packs smaller than a BP and wing. Especially one of those Oxycheq 18 lb wings, or even a Pioneer 27.

The only caution worth noting is that a SS bp may be too much weight for the exposure protection you intend on wearing. You may want to consider an AL plate.

Or you go out and get one of Scott' s travel plates...

very nice to travel with..
my army buddies are very jealous..

Alex J

Boogie711:

Hi Boogie, I agree on the ease of packing but you do have to be careful in how its done. I left my wing attached to the plate once and I'm pretty sure thats how I put a hole in the wing - probably from a tank strap chaffing the material.

The advice that everyone is giving is sound in my mind. Just make sure you seperate the wing and pad the steel/metal parts

...for some real fun you could try wearing the BP onto the airplane by claiming that it's your physician-ordered back brace. :bonk:

Back
Top Bottom