Pacific Trash Vortex! Wow! I had no idea it was this bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Think refuse (refuse: as in to turn down or turn away), reduce, reuse, and as a last resort recycle. I am rethinking everything I touch now.

At a recent South Maui Sustainability Core meeting one of my fellow members held up a plastic bottle filled with water and asked us what we saw. He meant to demonstrate that the bottler had added ingredients, that it wasn't just water. But I immediately said "I see a one-time use plastic bottle that will end up floating in the ocean gyre with a plastic cap that may be used by an albatross parent to feed its chick which will starve to death while full of plastic."

I saw a commercial for a water filter system that stated that last year enough plastic water bottles were purchased to circle the earth 193 times. It made me imagine an earth completely coated with plastic.

This information is changing my life...

Yup, me too. I quit buying those mega cases of bottled water. I keep gallon jugs, refill, and reuse them, use our drinking bottles, take our filtered water from home. I'll try, and I hope it helps. I'd like to think that enough of us can take care of this to keep the government out of our lives.

I'd heard of this, thanks for the info.
I live in California, but I'll research what I can do to help correct this unfortunate mess.

A 2nd garbage patch: Plastic soup seen in Atlantic

A 2nd garbage patch: Plastic soup seen in Atlantic - Yahoo! News

So there you go! It's getting worse!! Try to refuse your plastic bags at stores folks. And tell people about this.

I just saw a cool idea today...biodegradeable chip bags. It was Sunchips. The bag said it was 100% compostable. Looked like foil lined plastic to me but apparently it's not. It's an extra noisy bag by the way. We need more replacements like this.

Just saw this video posted elsewhere and I thought of this thread.

Where has that video aired? I laughed at the predator the Tea Cup Yorkie LOL

Where has that video aired? I laughed at the predator the Tea Cup Yorkie LOL

It was on another thread here on the board.

Hey does anyone know what happened to the Pacific Trash Vortex? Is it all cleaned up now? (Like the Gulf Oil Spill?) I think this guy got the last three pieces:

090904-04-plastic-bottles-ocean_big.jpg

Drew, are you still working on your project or did it get sidelined or something? What happened to all the momentum? (The childrens book, your blog, the movie, the news apearances, etc)....the gas ran out of this a year and a half ago. All I can say is I hope someone didn't persuade you to drop this...

A friend of mine brought the subject up today and it dawned on me that nothing new has been posted here in a long time. What gives?

Back
Top Bottom