Pacific Northwest Divers, add your favorite dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i enjoy mukilteo and edmonds. granted mukilteo is just a short surface swim, its all good. but if you you don't mind a 5 - 10 minute surface swim its just as good.

Here's a few of my favorite:

Lawson Bluff on the western side of Sucia Island N48 31.835 W122 47.294 Has tons of gigantic boulders w/ swimthroughs and outstanding vis. Lots of crab and nudies.

Sares Head western point on Fidalgo Island (look for a giant bird poop covered rock) N48 25.532 W122 40.489. A good place to find pacific king crab and vertical walls. Good fish life and a nice spot for octos.

Cypress Point eastern side of the point by the campground N48 34.089 W122 40.065. On the southern end of the point is a vast "condo" area with numerous octos. At the 85 foot mark heading north there is a cave about 10-15 deep that is home to some huge lingcod.

i like the edmonds underwater park. not realy tide sencative, but its good for all levels. theres crabs, ananaomes, lingcod, cabazone, shrimp and if your lucky you;ll get a chance to play with a seal.

I recently got to dive sunrise beach SP in WA and that was the best 2 dives I've had yet. In both dives we saw all of the flora and fauna that it would normally take you 3 or 4 dives to see. A short list includes, several clam species, 4-6+ in hermit crabs, multiple octo, multiple wolf eel, ratfish, and even got to watch a moon snail get chased and eaten by a sun star. The downside to this dive is that the current never stops. there is a 40 minute window that sometimes occurs where the current lessens to under one knot but it is always ripping through there and is completely undiveable at any other time. The hike down to the shore is really long from the parking lot too.
~Ian

Since I last looked at this thread, I have had a chance to dive Redondo, down in Des Moines. That's a VERY pleasant site, with lots of parking and easy entry into the water. We did a night dive there, which was packed with life -- sailfin sculpins galore, grunt sculpins, octopus, and tons of tubesnouts and shiner perch under the pilings.

Downsides are the fee for parking, and a rash of recent car break-ins at night.

Redondo continues to be one of my favorites, for all the reasons you mentioned. And it is just a very reliable dive.

I don't view the fee as a downside, though. It's usually small, even if I do two dives...rarely more than $4.50, usually less. I view it as my payment to the city for providing restrooms (albeit not the cleanest) and a wash site, along with a big parking lot. Just my two cents...

I agree on the breakins, though...that seems to be a problem. Not sure how it can be fixed...except for us to keep our eyes on our gear, and the gear of our fellow divers if we're in the parking lot...

I went out with Banditto Charter last weekend out of Tacoma. We hit Z's Reef, and Sunrise Beach... Both GREAT dive locations.

Z's reef was a little better for me. Larger dive location, and more sea life...

Here's a few photo's from Z's....

wolfeel2.jpg

seabass.jpg

well i'll add my fave of harpers dock by the southworthferry in port orchard and the pinnacle out in the hood canal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom