P-Valves for women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what your friendly neighborhood military female is using:

I think you can buy them. From where, I have no idea. This was published on a government research website.

"Lady J" and "Freshette Complete System": A Field Trial for the Active Duty Woman
Authors: Hawley-Bowland, Carla; WILLIAM BEAUMONT ARMY MEDICAL CENTER ELPASO TX
Abstract: With the increase in women in the armed services and the increase in combat roles for women, field duty and deployment are becoming much more commonplace for the female soldier. Lack of suitable bathroom facilities and sufficient privacy pose a problem for timely urination. Active duty females in the field will decrease their oral hydration to diminish the frequency of urination as well as voluntarily suppress urination as long as possible. Subsequently, these women may induce prolonged bladder distention and increase their risk of urinary infections. "The Lady J" and "Freshette Complete System" are urinary diversion devices designed for female backpackers. They allow urination through the fly opening in the trousers with no need to remove clothing or gear, or find suitable ground cover. These devices have not been tested in a military setting. Our objective was to evaluate the utility of these devices for the female soldier during a major Army field exercise.

Limitations: APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

Description: Final rept. 9 Jan-1 Aug 95

Pages: 14

Report Date: 27 SEP 1995

Report number: A169233

Here's a picture. If you can get it to stick, then you could probably put a pressure equalization valve on it and use it like a men's p-valve, or use the collection bag. They sell for $23 on campmor.com

miketsp:
Interesting how much male interest in this subject... :dontgetit

dude, how can i resist? someone started talking about
astronauts!

H2Andy:
there were a few Russian female cosmonauts, but i don't
know what they did for bathroom facilities.

I believe that these ladies were ordered to hold it till they got back.

These systems have been tried by a number of people. They only work if you are vertical, otherwise "drainage" doesn't occur. Since diving isn't a "vertical" sport...... well.... you get the picture.

mempilot:

I have one of these....got it from Campmor for around 5 bucks. I've used it twice....first time it worked okay. Second time I wasn't at quite the right angle and got a pint of backwash in my drysuit underwear. Haven't used the damn thing since.....

For the record, I wasn't diving at the time....I was "watering" a tree between dives.

miketsp:
Interesting how much male interest in this subject... :dontgetit

Dude, i LEARNED a looong time ago that if the female is happy, evryone is happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom