P-Valve or external leg bag ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks,

I'm just getting my first drysuit and now am wondering about installing a P-Valve. My PA wife thought the idea was crazy and asked why not hook the condom-catheter to a leg bag. . .

Going vertical when heeding the call doesn't seem like too much of a problem and the bags all have 1-way valves. I've even found a few internet articles that talk about doing this.

Is anyone on this board tried this? The cost of a P-valve certainly would make this alternative attractive

Thanks!!

IMO the cost of the p-valve is negligible when you consider the cost of everything else that it takes to dive dry.

---------- Post Merged at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:46 PM ----------

IMO the cost of the p-valve is negligible when you consider the cost of everything else that it takes to dive dry.

I agree totally. You can get simple Balanced bolt style of valve for $85 from DRIS. I spent over three hours in my drysuit today (hooked up), you can't put a price on comfort.

A pee valve is the best 140 bucks I've ever spent on diving. Get one.

Pee valve... Reminds me of my cold water days... Now its just let it flow and the occasional war-hammer lmao. Cost of a new pair of swim shorts 25.00, ability to pee when ever needed priceless!

I'm not sure what you would gain, other than not making a hole in your dry suit. You'd still be dealing with a condom catheter, you'd still have UTI issues as a possibility, and you'd still have connections that could fail and result in a wet suit. In addition, you'd have a bag full of urine to dispose of at the end of a dive.

I think the p-valve is just a neater and cleaner solution.

Pee valve... Reminds me of my cold water days... Now its just let it flow and the occasional war-hammer lmao. Cost of a new pair of swim shorts 25.00, ability to pee when ever needed priceless!

Well no buddy asked you, you spoiled rotten warm water diver:depressed:.

Well no buddy asked you, you spoiled rotten warm water diver:depressed:.

Hey 'm just saying, been there done that feel your pain. Just not feeling it anymore! If you want I'll come up to NH and you can show me around. Still got 2 northern diver drysuits collecting dust.

How long does the cost of the bags and other pieces needed = the price of a pee valve.............?

Despite how strange it may sound to people from outside diving, the standard drysuit p-valve is an accepted, time-tested design. I've heard of people using adult diapers as an alternative, but not much about a leg bag. In a drysuit, I'd be a bit concerned about whether suit squeeze would be an issue with a bag; maybe it's not at all, but I'm not sure I want to find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom