P-Valve Catheter Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Now that I have taken the recommendations from multiple people and have decided on the Rochester Wide-Band catheters, the sample pack with measuring tool has arrived.

I found myself between sizes so I went with the smaller size thinking that it would be a tighter fit with less chance to leak or come off. I have one question:

Is that glue some sort of a permanent epoxy from hell? Holy crap, I checked some other posts and took the recommendation to remove the catheter in the shower with soap. Not sure that it helped. That was insane and I am still raw and sore.

Maybe I need to bump up to the larger size and that will make removal easier. Not sure.

If there are any tips on removal of the wide-band catheters, please let me know. Maybe there is a preparation method that will ease the removal without causing a leak issue.

Any help is appreciated for this "sensitive" issue.:blush:

Yes, when in between two sizes, go with the larger size..... then grip it tight to make it glued all the way around. By the way, the test fit and remove is a bad idea, you'll lose flesh. If you wear it all day, it comes off easier at the end of the day.

Here is the method that I use and it has been pretty much pain free since I went this route:

1 - Shower the night before, instead of the morning of, the scheduled dive. This will have "things" clean but still allow some body oils to accumulate in the specified area.

2 - Put the catheter on first thing in the morning rather than waiting to do it at the dive site.

3 - Leave it on until you get home after the dive.

4 - Removal should be very easy while in the shower.

5 - If diving multiple days, Make sure to use some type of adhesive remover to really clean up. The residue from the adhesive will tend to accumulate and it will be a rough go to remove it then.

Stop being a sissy. Reach down there and just rip it off like a man!

LOL, and by "it" he means the flesh, the shaft, the whole package....
Youch!

Get a travel-sized bottle of contact lens solution, dump it out, and refill it with isopropyl alcohol from the drugstore.
It'll easily dissolve the glue plus you can dry your ears with it. --->Remember!!!<--- to relabel the bottle so an innocent bystander won't use it to clean their contacts.
I had a bottle under the sink, labeled clearly about the alcohol WITH a nicely-done skull-and-crossbones AND a nuclear hazmat sticker on it, and my wife still managed to try to flush her eyes with it.
But since you're a jarhead, real Marines just rip the thing off.

I've been using "Remove" single pack swaps for removal, and it greatly reduces discomfort. I usually shower morning-of, and have no problem removing the cath using the swaps.

Henrik

The method I found that works the best is to use some baby oil to to loosen up the glue. Just start at the bottom and start rolling it off, I have been using this method for awhile now and is almost painless. Just try and explain to the wife what you need the baby oil for:blush:.

Stop being a sissy. Reach down there and just rip it off like a man!

That is my method (real men live here in Texas). Sometimes the catheter rips in half before the adhesive gives way.... and this is on the standard ultra-flex, not the wide band from hell.

Being a rec diver and normally limited to about 3x1hr dives, I find the standards good enough without the extra adhesive of the wide band.

Back
Top Bottom