Oxygen analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My instructor has the El Cheapo and (IIRC) he modded it so that the sensor stays inside the box to better protect it

Last edited:
Depending on the shops fill method and how long the tanks set before use the mix can change as much as 2-3%..

Jim, could you elaborate on this statement?

I just don't understand the process of how the mix could change significantly over time or dependent on fill method.

Jim,

Have any pictures of the finished unit?

If they blend the nitrox mix in your tank (as opposed to filling your tank with a mix from a storage tank) the percentage can change slightly cause of futher mixing/blending inside the tank after filling

Jim, could you elaborate on this statement?

I just don't understand the process of how the mix could change significantly over time or dependent on fill method.

Analyze a tank filled with the PPB method immediately after filling then check it a couple hours later after the mix has time to fully blend and stabilize. Depending on things like temp and fill rate, the percentage can change by as much as 3% in my experience. Also when doing PPB there are charts and formulas for mixing. So many PSI air, so many PSI O2= desired mix. So I;'d think the accuracy of the mixing gauges can effect this as well though not as often.

They didn't have an analyzer or didn't allow you to double check their fills? There had to be an analyzer and I suspect it was put away. Had this been me, I would have requested the analyzer and if they said it is their policy not to I would have requested that I watch them test it to verify the results. If not, I wouldn't sign off on their log and I wouldn't pay for the fill.

I have also been handed a tank of EAN32 in Hawaii by a shop when loading out on their boat that I nver saw tested as well. It's not uncommon in the loosy-goosy recreational diving world. You have been lucky to dive in locations that appear to pay attention to details, or they are regulated by some local authority.

I myself can't justify $300 for a double check, thats just me but I do see valid points from others.

I take it you purchased your scuba regulator from Walmart, on sale and it has no decernable markings to verify that it was made by a lagitimate manufacturer as well, right?

Back
Top Bottom