Oxygen analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't honestly think of one valid reason to justify purchasing an OA unit. Every dive shop you get Nitrox fills at has an oxygen analyzer unit. I always analyze the tanks myself to make sure I know what is in my tanks, no excuses or short cuts. Pre-blends are treated the same way, I rarely have a set mix of 32% or 36% in any of my tanks so if you mixed a pre-blend with what I had in the tank I would have to analyze it anyways.

The only reason I could see wanting to own one is if I was blending my own mixes at my home and that would require a large investment in equipment.

Maybe I'm missing a practical and valid reason for someone to buy their own?

I dove off a six pack recently that provides Nitrox fills. The boat has a very small deck and there was no analizer offer to check my cylinder after it was filled. Therefore I used my own.

My experience with the Oxycheck units is they are just not as durable. If it isn't the cap poping off the sensor, it's the unit getting moisture in it and dying.

Thanks.

Ed is getting ready to get more of my money as well. I still have some items on my "to buy" list.

-Mitch

I just ordered the el cheapo one in kit form from oxycheq. 99 bucks including the sensor.

Hi Jim,

Did you get the El Cheapo yet? Thoughts, feedback?

Thanks

Henrik

An analyzer is cheap insurance I've got the right blend.

It sets a good example for students.

Jim, your the exception to everything :D, teaching students by example is different than Joe Diver. It is the same reason most dive operators want dive leaders wearing top shelf dive gear when possible..... it sets the example.

If I am diving a mix, I want to KNOW exactly what I have in my tank.

I agree to an extent. An analyzer that is $300 plus the cost of sensors can add up just for reassurance.

I dove off a six pack recently that provides Nitrox fills. The boat has a very small deck and there was no analizer offer to check my cylinder after it was filled. Therefore I used my own.

They didn't have an analyzer or didn't allow you to double check their fills? There had to be an analyzer and I suspect it was put away. Had this been me, I would have requested the analyzer and if they said it is their policy not to I would have requested that I watch them test it to verify the results. If not, I wouldn't sign off on their log and I wouldn't pay for the fill.

I've never been to a dive location where the shop/operator doing the nitrox fills didn't have an analyzer out in the open and request that you verify the results before signing the log book, from Stuarts Cove in Nassau to Grand Cayman and back to Florida thats what I've experienced. I'm not saying everyone will see the same results I have so take my words at face value.

I myself can't justify $300 for a double check, thats just me but I do see valid points from others.

I agree to an extent. An analyzer that is $300 plus the cost of sensors can add up just for reassurance.

Yes, but I am soooo worth it.:D

Hi Jim,

Did you get the El Cheapo yet? Thoughts, feedback?

Thanks

Henrik

Yes I did. And it works great.:D A little incident with the resistor pads you need to remove but there is a fix I found over on the deco stop. Was removing them and the phone rang. I jumped, pad came completely off!:shocked2: But thanks to TDS I got it together and have analyzed everything from 16% to 100% and it is within .1-.3% of what the shop analyzer came up with. The last batch I did the shop analyzer said 28.7, I got 28.8, on the deco bottle the shop analyzer said 39.9 mine read 39.8. Well within tolerance levels and giving that my sensor had been used on 8 mixes to date and shops probably 200 or more could account for the small discrepancy. And the shop one is a combination O2/He that runs around 900 bucks and I have 140 in mine including the bc flow restrictor and DIN tee, I'm more than satisfied.

You do not need to spend 300 bucks if you are willing to take a little time and build this one that works as well as any other.

Yes I did. And it works great.:D

Thanks Jim. Happy to hear it.

I have this idea that I might be able to fit the kit into a small waterproof box, so that the analyzer itself will fit into one half, and the other half would hold various hoses and bits.

I'd need to fabricate a face plate to fit and some mounting points inside the box. But everything would be nicely protected and sealed.

Henrik

I own a 5 year old Oxycheq Expedition analyzer that's on it's second sensor. It works well and is "modular" with the Oxycheq Expedition Helium analyzer. Every nitrox diver should own an analyzer! Bottles should be analyzed at the time of pick up from the shop AND when putting a reg on the bottle to MAKE SURE of the contents. I also own a Teledyne "Mix Check" tri-mix analyzer. Tri-mix analyzers are cost prohibitive to own for a lot of divers, but definitely a good thing to have if you can afford it.

Thanks Jim. Happy to hear it.

I have this idea that I might be able to fit the kit into a small waterproof box, so that the analyzer itself will fit into one half, and the other half would hold various hoses and bits.

I'd need to fabricate a face plate to fit and some mounting points inside the box. But everything would be nicely protected and sealed.

Henrik

Very doable. I just did not want to do it. I have an aluminum briefcase with the removable foam that I carry alot of my tools in for remote site repairs. I can actually now do a full rebuild on site for my regs! Sweet. I just made a section in it for the analyzer. I may buy a pelican case or otterbox for just taking the analyzer when going on trips and the briefcase would be too much.

Back
Top Bottom