Oxygen analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta say I liked the Nuvair - used it exclusively on a liveaboard last month and it's easy as pie and very convenient. I guess most O2 analyzers are that way :)

One thing about O2 analyzers - make sure you really want/need one first. Some people get the impression in their Nitrox class that you must have your own and that everyone does. In fact, sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn't, and in reality most people diving Nitrox don't have their own. While it is essential that you analyze every tank, almost anyplace you get Nitrox will have one for you to use. The oxygen sensor in these only lasts so long (longer if you're nice to it.) So if you don't use it much it may be kind of expensive per tank.

Having your own has it's advantages and you can see there are lots of options if you want one. But since you're a newer diver, I thought I'd mention this in case you're getting one only because someone told you in class that you should.

While it is essential that you analyze every tank, almost anyplace you get Nitrox will have one for you to use. The oxygen sensor in these only lasts so long (longer if you're nice to it.) So if you don't use it much it may be kind of expensive per tank.

The limited lifespan of the O2 sensor is a good point.

In my case, I've been out of standards since getting Nitrox-certified. I'm supposed to check every tank twice - first upon fill, and again on the day of the dive. Using the shop's O2 sensor works fine for the former, but without my own, I'm high and dry for the latter. So an analyzer is definitely on my to-buy list, but the risks with only one set of tanks, constant gas and short intervals between fill and dive makes it a slightly lower priority for me. Hopefully I don't have to eat those words.

I have two, both needing fuel cells. I don't really need them. I check the fill at the shop, put tape on the bottle with the particulars and I'm good. It's almost always 32% or 25% if doing some thing a little deeper.

I just went through comparing a couple of analyzers.

I narrowed down my choices to two analyzers, based on reading good things about each of them.

1.) Analox O2 eII, it costs $239 at scuba toys.

2.) Oxycheq expedition, it costs $249 at scuba toys. It's also $249 at Cave adventures.

Both of these analyzers are considered to be good ones. The main differences besides to obvious shapes of the two of them are:

1.)The oxycheck has a back lit screen, the analox does not.

2.)The Oxygen sensors that each of them use are different. The Analox uses a proprietary design, it costs around $125 to replace. The Oxycheq uses a sensor made by Teledyne, it costs around $70-to-$80 to replace. I read a lot of different postings on how long each or these sensors lasts. sensor life is affected by a couple of things:

a.)The humidity level of the area you are located.
b.)Whether or not you use a sensor saver, each company offers one.

3.)Both analyzers come with the flow restrictor that looks like a dome or big rounded nipple with a small hole (approx. 0.065 inch) in the end. You hold the analyzer up to the tank valve with the dome/nipple against the slightly cracked open valve to analyze the gas.

The oxycheq has a few option that allow you to attach other types of flow restrictors and get some other methods of connecting to the gas supply being analyzed.

I have recently purchased an order with
caveadventurers.com - Home for an oxycheq expedition analyzer.

Their site states that they will not be undersold. They list the price of the oxycheq expedition at $249.

I called and asked them if they would match the scuba toys 10% forum discount and their additional $10 off coupon.

Cave adventures was very happy to do it. You can do the match for yourself and figure out what I paid.

Disclaimer: Everything I posted above was information that I gathered from reading the various dive forums. This was my first oxygen analyzer purchase, so I have to prior knowledge about them.

When comparison shopping for my own analyzer, I narrowed it down to these two brands, then determined the differences between them (mentioned above).

I have used the analox before and found it easy to use. I have never used the oxycheq, but it has a good reputation. The lower cost of sensor replacement was a deciding factor. It may also prove useful in the future to be able to hook up a different flow restrictor.

This was my first purchase from cave adventures also. So far, I'm very happy. The had some other stuff I wanted to I was glad they did the price match so I get get my stuff in one order. They only carry the oxycheq.

If you want the Analox the call scubatoys.

There's my review.:wink::dork2:

-Mitch

Last edited:
I can't honestly think of one valid reason to justify purchasing an OA unit. Every dive shop you get Nitrox fills at has an oxygen analyzer unit. I always analyze the tanks myself to make sure I know what is in my tanks, no excuses or short cuts. Pre-blends are treated the same way, I rarely have a set mix of 32% or 36% in any of my tanks so if you mixed a pre-blend with what I had in the tank I would have to analyze it anyways.

The only reason I could see wanting to own one is if I was blending my own mixes at my home and that would require a large investment in equipment.

Maybe I'm missing a practical and valid reason for someone to buy their own?

When diving mix I like to reanalyze before the dive. Depending on the shops fill method and how long the tanks set before use the mix can change as much as 2-3%. As an independent instructor I can get a couple different mixes and have students reanalyze them without going to the shop for nitrox class.

An analyzer is cheap insurance I've got the right blend.

It sets a good example for students.

When I decide to get a compressor and blend myself one less expense.

I have at least one friend who blends at home. If the time ever comes when the shop is not open or inconvenient I may ask him to blend me some gas and just bring it to the site. He does not have to bring his analyzer for me to use.

The shop's analyzer may be needing a new sensor and having a second opinion can help verify that.

If I am diving a mix, I want to KNOW exactly what I have in my tank. The equipment you are relying on at the shop....when was the last time the sensor was changed? I know exactly how old mine is, what kind of humidity it has been exposed too, etc. Is the analyzer outside in humidity at the shop? Have customers been calibrating it? Are they calibrating with air or 100% O2?

I think whether you have an analyzer depends very much on the type of diving you do. If you are diving locations where MOD is VERY important, then having your own analyzer makes perfect sense. If you are cave diving....I can think of no valid reason NOT to have one.

I check my tanks at the shop....then compare that to my analyzer later the day of the dive. I just don't trust that people maintain their equipment like I do mine....and when it comes to gas...I am not willing to bet my life on it.

I can't honestly think of one valid reason to justify purchasing an OA unit. Every dive shop you get Nitrox fills at has an oxygen analyzer unit. I always analyze the tanks myself to make sure I know what is in my tanks, no excuses or short cuts. Pre-blends are treated the same way, I rarely have a set mix of 32% or 36% in any of my tanks so if you mixed a pre-blend with what I had in the tank I would have to analyze it anyways.

The only reason I could see wanting to own one is if I was blending my own mixes at my home and that would require a large investment in equipment.

I think one obvious one might be that a buddy picks up your tanks for you. That or if you either don't have tanks, rent tanks, or borrow a buddies on a regular basis like some do from me ......

Then again, I double checked mine when I got home before I put in my own fill station. My readings were never way off, but there was a time or two that it was off by a percent...... Maybe it was time for a sensor change at the store.

True story, I had a buddy w/ two tanks he brought for a dive trip w/ me that were done by a "professional" home fill station. I was running my compressor and thought I would see if they needed to be topped off. :wink: I put my personal analyzer on the 2 filled tanks, one read 48% the other 46%......... Labeled mid 30's. I thought my 02 sensor must be shot or wacked..... Checked on straight air tank, then 3 other tanks I had analyzed the previous day. My analyzer was right......... :shakehead: :confused:

We were planning to be diving 100' the next trip. Clearly if I hadn't checked the guys tanks for him and he had dove them with me the next day, well, I hate to think......

Showed whoever was there........... had 3 of them order after seeing that. Mistakes can happen.......

Small price to pay to know what you are breathing on.......

Great review! Got my analyzer from Cave Adventures too. But heck, Ed gets most of money and business!

I just went through comparing a couple of analyzers.

I narrowed down my choices to two analyzers, based on reading good things about each of them.

1.) Analox O2 eII, it costs $239 at scuba toys.

2.) Oxycheq expedition, it costs $249 at scuba toys. It's also $249 at Cave adventures.

Both of these analyzers are considered to be good ones. The main differences besides to obvious shapes of the two of them are:

1.)The oxycheck has a back lit screen, the analox does not.

2.)The Oxygen sensors that each of them use are different. The Analox uses a proprietary design, it costs around $125 to replace. The Oxycheq uses a sensor made by Teledyne, it costs around $70-to-$80 to replace. I read a lot of different postings on how long each or these sensors lasts. sensor life is affected by a couple of things:

a.)The humidity level of the area you are located.
b.)Whether or not you use a sensor saver, each company offers one.

3.)Both analyzers come with the flow restrictor that looks like a dome or big rounded nipple with a small hole (approx. 0.065 inch) in the end. You hold the analyzer up to the tank valve with the dome/nipple against the slightly cracked open valve to analyze the gas.

The oxycheq has a few option that allow you to attach other types of flow restrictors and get some other methods of connecting to the gas supply being analyzed.

I have recently purchased an order with
caveadventurers.com - Home for an oxycheq expedition analyzer.

Their site states that they will not be undersold. They list the price of the oxycheq expedition at $249.

I called and asked them if they would match the scuba toys 10% forum discount and their additional $10 off coupon.

Cave adventures was very happy to do it. You can do the match for yourself and figure out what I paid.

Disclaimer: Everything I posted above was information that I gathered from reading the various dive forums. This was my first oxygen analyzer purchase, so I have to prior knowledge about them.

When comparison shopping for my own analyzer, I narrowed it down to these two brands, then determined the differences between them (mentioned above).

I have used the analox before and found it easy to use. I have never used the oxycheq, but it has a good reputation. The lower cost of sensor replacement was a deciding factor. It may also prove useful in the future to be able to hook up a different flow restrictor.

This was my first purchase from cave adventures also. So far, I'm very happy. The had some other stuff I wanted to I was glad they did the price match so I get get my stuff in one order. They only carry the oxycheq.

If you want the Analox the call scubatoys.

There's my review.:wink::dork2:

-Mitch

Back
Top Bottom