Oxygen analyzer provided on boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very good answer, Christi! :thumb: I didn't know that you could order 28-30% there, but then - I've never been out with a really good operator before there. Looking forward to that! And if I can get 28-30%, I may increase my order.

Limiting 32% divers to a depth of 100 feet may seem overly cautious, but caution is good. Not my nature, but I try to work at it.

DandyDon:
Very good answer, Christi! :thumb: I didn't know that you could order 28-30% there, but then - I've never been out with a really good operator before there. Looking forward to that! And if I can get 28-30%, I may increase my order.

Limiting 32% divers to a depth of 100 feet may seem overly cautious, but caution is good. Not my nature, but I try to work at it.

Again, that really depends on the individual divers. This is a general rule because so many people honestly cannot control their depth/buoyancy...so we have to put these guidelines in place for those divers to keep them safe.

And actually, using the Max depth formula, it is only an 11 ft difference, which can be easy to exceed.

Max depth = 46.2/.32 - 33 = 111 ft
Contingency depth = 52.8/.32 - 33 = 132 ft

Max depth = 46.2/.36 - 33 = 95 ft
Contingency depth = 52.8/.36 - 33 = 114

Christi you rock. Just got EAN certified and purchased an analyzer on-line this morning before I read this thread! I purchased an O2 quickstick for anyone who is interested. I used it on the Caicos Adventures certification dives and reall liked the simplicity. http://nuvair.com/

I didn't read through all the threads here, so maybe this has already been said. I dove with Nitrox for the first time in August in Cozumel. The operator did not provide an analyzer, and actually expected me to "trust" the local provider. Well, my life is much more important to me than anybody else, and I'm sure the same is true of you. Remember, your in another country, where saftey is relative to their standards. I reluctantly bought my own analyzer, and the shop was consistently off by 1-2%, could have been my readings, but better safe than sorry.

So, even though I think for 10 bucks a tank the analyzer should be provided, don't expect it to be. I would ask ahead of time, but be prepared to bring your own.

MAGELLAN:
I didn't read through all the threads here, so maybe this has already been said. I dove with Nitrox for the first time in August in Cozumel. The operator did not provide an analyzer, and actually expected me to "trust" the local provider. Well, my life is much more important to me than anybody else, and I'm sure the same is true of you. Remember, your in another country, where saftey is relative to their standards. I reluctantly bought my own analyzer, and the shop was consistently off by 1-2%, could have been my readings, but better safe than sorry.

So, even though I think for 10 bucks a tank the analyzer should be provided, don't expect it to be. I would ask ahead of time, but be prepared to bring your own.

Just a couple of quick clarifications.

1. I agree that you shouldn't just "trust" the shop, I agree for different reasons. As we all learned in our nitrox course, every diver should verify the contents of their tank. As I have already said, in my opinion shops providing nitrox should also provide an analyzer for those who do not have their own...or as a back-up at least.

2. The fact that every tank was off by 1% or 2% is actually normal. Every analyzer is calibrated a little differently, which is one reason we have the 1% rule. So off by 1% or 2% is perfectly normal. It does not mean that the fill station made an error, it simply means that your analyzer may not be calibrated exactly the same.

3. The fill station fills the tanks, not the shop, one reason nitrox fills are expensive here. $10 is pretty standard across the board for most shops here, the shop is not pocketing your $10. Electricity rates are outrageous here, so fills are more expensive as a result. Although we are in Mexico, keep in mind that we are professionals, this is our livlihood, and safety is just as important if not more important to us. Our econony depends on tourism and diving. Please do not imply that we have lower standards because we are in a foreign country. That is actually an insulting remark, although I realize you may not have meant it that way.

I will admit, some shops have different levels of safety standards. In many cases, the shop is simply expecting the customer to be smarter than they are sometimes and to be accountable for their own actions.

Furthermore, the fill station here follows the same safety procedures and protocol as anywhere else. In fact, the safety protocol followed here by many shops and the fill station is at a higher level than many US shops I've seen. These guys do this for a living and are properly trained just as they would be in the states. Next time you are in Cozumel, stop by the fill station on 30th and check it out (it is the biggest and most accessible). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you see over there. They won't let you in the actual fill area, particularly where the other gasses are, but you can stand outside and look in and get a birdseye view.

Hope this clears some things up for you.

Christi:
Just a couple of quick clarifications.

1. I agree that you shouldn't just "trust" the shop, I agree for different reasons. As we all learned in our nitrox course, every diver should verify the contents of their tank. As I have already said, in my opinion shops providing nitrox should also provide an analyzer for those who do not have their own...or as a back-up at least.

2. The fact that every tank was off by 1% or 2% is actually normal. Every analyzer is calibrated a little differently, which is one reason we have the 1% rule. So off by 1% or 2% is perfectly normal. It does not mean that the fill station made an error, it simply means that your analyzer may not be calibrated exactly the same.

3. The fill station fills the tanks, not the shop, one reason nitrox fills are expensive here. $10 is pretty standard across the board for most shops here, the shop is not pocketing your $10. Electricity rates are outrageous here, so fills are more expensive as a result. Although we are in Mexico, keep in mind that we are professionals, this is our livlihood, and safety is just as important if not more important to us. Our econony depends on tourism and diving. Please do not imply that we have lower standards because we are in a foreign country. That is actually an insulting remark, although I realize you may not have meant it that way.

I will admit, some shops have different levels of safety standards. In many cases, the shop is simply expecting the customer to be smarter than they are sometimes and to be accountable for their own actions.

Furthermore, the fill station here follows the same safety procedures and protocol as anywhere else. In fact, the safety protocol followed here by many shops and the fill station is at a higher level than many US shops I've seen. These guys do this for a living and are properly trained just as they would be in the states. Next time you are in Cozumel, stop by the fill station on 30th and check it out (it is the biggest and most accessible). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you see over there. They won't let you in the actual fill area, particularly where the other gasses are, but you can stand outside and look in and get a birdseye view.

Hope this clears some things up for you.

very well put :crafty:

One other thing--if this can be answered. How many dives does the typical person do a day in Cozumel? I've always done 2 dives a day when I've gone to Florida--I'm wondering if I should plan on doing more than 2 a day.

junko:
One other thing--if this can be answered. How many dives does the typical person do a day in Cozumel? I've always done 2 dives a day when I've gone to Florida--I'm wondering if I should plan on doing more than 2 a day.
Some like to do 2 in the morning, then take the afternoon for non-diving. Some like to take the morning off to get over the night before, then do 2 in the afternoon, but the waves can get up. I go for the diving, and always try to book 3 a day - always, if I can.

I've arranged a package for March that will give me 3 a day for 3 days, breaks - including lunches at beach club, and a night dive. That's my mind of trip. A diving trip. :59:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom