Oxygen analyzer provided on boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't even see it right there in your signature block!

While I appreciate your opinion, I think I would rather just skip the dive or use air if I felt uncomfortable if I was in a situation where there wasn't one available, rather than invest in an expensive analyzer. When I learned that the sensor has to be replaced every year or two that was the dealbreaker, I've got better things to spend my money on.

JS1scuba:
We just had a group down to Cozumel. Even with 14 of them diving nitrox the boat did not have an analyzer. The comment was "they have the sticker on them."

Suffice to say that the operator now has a pile of OxySpys on board.

However, if you dive nitrox you need to have your own oxygen analyzer. Just like you have your own computer and regulator you need to be able to analyze your gas without being dependent on someone elses tools.

Visit our site, order up an OxySpy and we wil take an extra $10 off if you mention this post.

Regards,

5615mike:
Just dove for 7 days with Aldora. I had my own but they did provide an analyzer for other divers. All tanks were within 1% of what was marked on tank. Have a great trip.

Were other divers on the boat also diving nitrox ? If not, how did they handle the group ? Did you use nitrox all week ? What dive sites ?

I'm used to drift diving as a group in Coz. because of the currents. Also, some of the premiere Coz dives are deeper than the recommended depth for 32%.

Just curious as to how things were handled.

junko:
While I appreciate your opinion, I think I would rather just skip the dive or use air if I felt uncomfortable if I was in a situation where there wasn't one available, rather than invest in an expensive analyzer. When I learned that the sensor has to be replaced every year or two that was the dealbreaker, I've got better things to spend my money on.

While I agree that it would be a better bet to skip the dive than to dive an unknown gas, I can't believe that you think an analyzer is expensive!

$100-$200US will get you one, and the sensor would very well last you a couple years. I won't cliche you to death and ask you what your life is worth, but I will mention that you probably own a dive computer worth twice the amount that an analyzer is worth, and it's more of a piece of crap, AKA useless kit, than an analyzer will ever be.

In other words, If I HAD to chose between owning an analyzer OR a dive computer, it would be a no brainer,.....the analyzer would win hands down. One you absolutely need, the other you absolutely don't.

FYI, did coz last two weeks, I brought my O2 Analyzer, CO detector, computer in guage mode, and a back-up bottom timer..........OK call me anal :)

Well, the one that JS1scuba was trying to sell was $350.00. I would never use a tank where there was no analyzer available at the shop--but I wonder why some people here are so distrustful of the shops' analyzers? For there to be an accident both the shop's analyzer would have to be faulty AND they would have to give you the wrong gas at the same time. Realistically, what are the chances of that happening? Also, what guarantee is there that your own analyzer won't malfunction as opposed to the shop's?

check, check, double check.....being alive is good.

$350.00 is in fact way too much. "More accurate" is basically BS too by the way (Not a reference to any specific model), and the El Cheapo for approx. $100.00 just plain works.

Apologies Joel, but it ain't worth it. I love the Oxy Spy for it's ease of use, but seeing as I can buy 3 of the other that work equally well, if not as fast, it doesn't add up for me.

I would trust the shops analyzer, but it's the monkey using it I don't trust, if you get my drift.

I'll think about it but...are there any actual statistics about accidents caused by people getting the wrong mixture due to the shops' error, or is this just something people are worrying about?

Scuba_Steve:
check, check, double check.....being alive is good.

$350.00 is in fact way too much. "More accurate" is basically BS too by the way (Not a reference to any specific model), and the El Cheapo for approx. $100.00 just plain works.

Apologies Joel, but it ain't worth it. I love the Oxy Spy for it's ease of use, but seeing as I can buy 3 of the other that work equally well, if not as fast, it doesn't add up for me.

I would trust the shops analyzer, but it's the monkey using it I don't trust, if you get my drift.

OK, whoa, maybe I'm totally misunderstanding things then. I was under the impression that when I got a Nitrox fill I would get to analyze the contents myself using the shop's analyzer after they finish the fill. Is this wrong?

Scuba_Steve:

junko:
OK, whoa, maybe I'm totally misunderstanding things then. I was under the impression that when I got a Nitrox fill I would get to analyze the contents myself using the shop's analyzer after they finish the fill. Is this wrong?
That's the way it's supposed to work, but rules get stretched, more so outside of the US. Just politely insist on it. Any shop that sells Nitrox should have an analyzer for you to use at the dock, at least, if not on the boat. But if the boat picks you up at your dock, then that's where you want to insist on the analyzer.

Thanks Don--that's good to know. If I do find that the standard practice in my area here in the US is to "trust" some shop employee to analzye the gas correctly then I will buy my analyzer.

Anyway, enough worrying, on to the fun part, planning the trip :eyebrow:

DandyDon:
That's the way it's supposed to work, but rules get stretched, more so outside of the US. Just politely insist on it. Any shop that sells Nitrox should have an analyzer for you to use at the dock, at least, if not on the boat. But if the boat picks you up at your dock, then that's where you want to insist on the analyzer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom