OxyCheq - Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap, are you relying on the plastic sexbolts to secure the tank and wing to the plate, or did you have a cam band removed in the second picture?

I've been looking at this rig for a while, but I think I'll strip down my Transpac.

Neither. The UL plate has a 2" webbing down the middle that the tank straps route through. That webbing is fastened to the "plate" by both sewing and the grommets. I doubt if it is going anywhere. In fact I had metal sexbolts and opted to go with the lighter plastic ones.

A pic is worth 1000 words.

This is how I am doing it as well because the rubber slots don't line up with anything that would still allow the "sexbolts" to install. I have the holes in the plate lined up with the holes in the wing and the wing is attached to the plate with stainless sexbolts in the top and bottom plate holes (and wing). The camband, as shown by AWAP, does not go through the rubber slots, they go through the webbing on the back of the plate--that is what we are doing.

Which wing you have there AWAP?

N

Thanks awap and Nemrod. I understand now. I stripped down my Transpac since my last post. It's a little cumbersome compared to the OxyCheq. Another toy to add to my collection.

I'm not sure any more. I thought it was the oxycheq 18# travel wing purchased from scubatoys over 1 month ago. But the one on their site now looks different (2 rubber slots): OxyCheq 18 lb Travel Wing, Dir & Tech, OxyCheq, OxyCheq 18 lb Travel Wing

Perhaps there are a number of different version.:confused:

I am at least as confused as you. I think for one thing that Scubatoys is also confused because I think that their pictures are not representative of the products, they have them out of whack. That wing is your link is not a Mach V Razor or Signature. It is to wide through the center web. I think thta is something old and obsolete and misidentified by scubatoys.

N

OK - here are pics of my 18# Signature Wing on the Ultra Lite Plate

Lower strap through the plate - upper strap through the webbing on the plate - sex bolt through 2nd hole on wing and upper hole on plate.

The wing shown on ScubaToys is the old 18# travel wing, not the 18# Mach V Razor or Signature.

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 515
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 490
OK - here are pics of my 18# Signature Wing on the Ultra Lite Plate

Lower strap through the plate - upper strap through the webbing on the plate - sex bolt through 2nd hole on wing and upper hole on plate.

The wing shown on ScubaToys is the old 18# travel wing, not the 18# Mach V Razor or Signature.

I see that but it also shifts the wing way up to high if you ask me. I tried it in the water (pool) that way and it was not good. The wing was behind my head, my trim was off and it just felt wrong. The way AWAP and myself are doing it the wing is at a neutral position, it trims out just like my Mach V (on Freedom Plate) and my trim is fine. It also does not hit my head and interfere with the all important Royal Aqua Master.

DSCF0171.jpg

No wrinkles and the holes line up. The rubber gusseted slots line up with the solid webbed area of the wing thus the cam band cannot pass through.

N

I see that but it also shifts the wing way up to high if you ask me. I tried it in the water (pool) that way and it was not good. The wing was behind my head, my trim was off and it just felt wrong. The way AWAP and myself are doing it the wing is at a neutral position, it trims out just like my Mach V (on Freedom Plate) and my trim is fine. It also does not hit my head and interfere with the all important Royal Aqua Master.

N

Since I have not tried it yet in the water, I might agree with you. I did find I could easily wear the plate a little lower, keep it held down with the crotch strap and by using the two cambands, I could raise the tank up high enough that my PRAM seemed to sit at the right height. For my Mares regs, I don't see it as a problem, at all - and since they are lighter than the PRAM, I probably will use them for travel. I will know more once I get it in the water next weekend.

Actually, if I am diving with the PRAM, I think I would rather use my new Freedom Plate or just my plastic back pack and horsecollar. Both make it much easier to set the PRAM mid shoulders. As light as the new Freedom Plate is, it might become my choice for travel.

I have always put the plate on my back where it fits best and then adjusted the wing from there. I tend to sink feet first so I need the wing shifted downward. That also helps to offset the weight belt on my hips. If I raise the wing to were I see it on your rig to allow the strap to go through the rubber slots the wing is up behind my neck and I don't like that at all.

Yes, I will probably dive this most of the time with my AL Titans or similar but I want it to work with my favorite regulator. Well, please let us know how it works when you get it in the water.

There is one thing for sure, the only harness or plate that sits the tank as close to the back is the original SeaHunt harness.

DSCF0173-1.jpg

Yes, I will keep my 30 pound Signature on my Freedom Plate. The way I have them both set now is at the same position relative to my body. In fact, I have the "center of lift" of my three wing/BP systems set the same so they dive the same and feel the same in the water.

N

Having used the Ultra Lite with my 30# wing originally, I found that because of the way it is made, it does not have a specific place on my back where it feels "right". So I didn't find it problematic to shift it lower - just like with a plastic back pak or a simple harness. This is unlike the Freedom Plate, which seems to have a spot where it fits best and my SS Hammerhead which also seems to have a sweet spot. The 18# wing should just reduce weight for travel and keep things even more streamlined.

I am also "foot heavy" so I don't want to have my wing high on my back, hitting me in the neck. One thing I am doing is putting XS Pockets on the cambands, so I can keep the weight up high and not all on a belt.

If it does not work this way, I can see how you have yours set-up and will change mine over by lowering the wing and using the webbing on the plate and not the slots.

I also keep all my bpw's set-up so that they feel the same as far as trim. That is the great thing about using a bpw - by having them set-up properly the only difference is changing the plate material/STA when changing wetsuit thickness; I normally never have to change the weight on my waist - so maintaining trim is easy.

PS - after looking at your pictures - as long as you position the tank (like you do - and so do I) so that the crown is tight against the inner radius of the wing, the PRAM fits fine with no interference - and again, by lowering the plate on your back, you can position it wherever you want in relation to your neck.

Also, if you want the speed harness to work as intended - do not run it through both slots on the lower keeper. If you let it slide and work like an old plastic plate, it is much easier to get in and out of and get it as snug as you want.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom