OxyCheq - Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I solved the "slipping too far" problem by adding a plastic keeper on the waist strap about 2-3" from the metal keepers on the plate. That way I get enough slack so it is easy to remove the harness when in the water. If you dive from smaller boats, you often remove your gear in the water prior to reboarding and I find that I can swallow a lot of water if I try and do this in 3-4 ft seas if I don't have some extra slack in the harness. If you reboard wearing your gear, this is not a problem. But I like diving from small boats and I'm a little older and not as flexible as some folks. :D:D
Yeah, I added some keepers to my plastic pool rig after the strap came out completely on my right side. I have no trouble doffing my rigs in the water. Inflate the wing, put hands up, and exhale. I then grab the valve as I go by. I looked at your profile. You've got 16 days to beat me in the old age race.

Yeah, I added some keepers to my plastic pool rig after the strap came out completely on my right side. I have no trouble doffing my rigs in the water. Inflate the wing, put hands up, and exhale. I then grab the valve as I go by. I looked at your profile. You've got 16 days to beat me in the old age race.

Actually, I've got you by almost 6 months. Guess I just got beat up alot more when I played sports - bad knees, bad hip, bad shoulder, bad elbow :wink::wink:

Gettin' old ain't been easy. :shakehead:

At least I haven't been forced to put a quick disconnect on my harness. :)

I may try your method next time out - at least I'm not too old to try new things. However, if it doesn't work and I drown - I am leaving instructions for my wife to institute a suit for you being the proximate cause of my death -- :D:D:D

I may try your method next time out - at least I'm not too old to try new things. However, if it doesn't work and I drown - I am leaving instructions for my wife to institute a suit for you being the proximate cause of my death -- :D:D:D

In that case, don't forget to keep the regulator in your mouth. I usually clip off the primary and switch to the octo after removing the bungee from around my neck. I've tried it without a regulator and with the bungee still around my neck. Neither are very impressive.

Oh, and it works much better after undoing the waist strap.

I have medium stiff webbing. It is not the seatbelt stuff and it is not the stiff as a board stuff commonly used. I also ran my webbing through both slots in the waist keepers thus securing them there. I also put two stainless keepers, one at each shoulder slot, to lock the adjustment in. I found if I did not do that the "Vee" of webbing material you tuck under the fabric piece would slip up. Now it is rock steady. Next time I web this thing or any other Hog harness I am adding in either a buckle or snaps on the left shoulder. It makes it so much easier to get in and out. Also, I too, leave a little extra slack in my shoulder webs. I find that if I cinch my waist strap down a bit there is no wobble.

N

N

After diving for a week with the Ultra Lite in the Bahamas, I never had any slippage at the shoulder keepers - "Vee" stayed put.

I think be both leave a little more slack than most since it positions the PRAM closer to the "ideal" position between the shoulder blades.

TN

I have medium stiff webbing. It is not the seatbelt stuff and it is not the stiff as a board stuff commonly used. I also ran my webbing through both slots in the waist keepers thus securing them there. I also put two stainless keepers, one at each shoulder slot, to lock the adjustment in. I found if I did not do that the "Vee" of webbing material you tuck under the fabric piece would slip up. Now it is rock steady. Next time I web this thing or any other Hog harness I am adding in either a buckle or snaps on the left shoulder. It makes it so much easier to get in and out. Also, I too, leave a little extra slack in my shoulder webs. I find that if I cinch my waist strap down a bit there is no wobble.

N

I did 20 dives in Bonaire (a good bit of walking) and had absolutely no slippage at the 'V' with the webbing just tucked in as per the instructions. I remember the chore it was getting the webbing through both sides of those serrated keepers at the shoulders but it is locked up tight on my rig.

When I first set up a backplate years ago, I tried both a buckle and a QD in the left shoulder strap rigged into the continuous webbing. After just a little practice, I realized they were unnecessary for me and removed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the keepers on my travel plate are serrated. They slipped with mine several times, I think it is the softer webbing material that caused this to happen, which cannot happen now that I installed the metal keepers to lock the webbing.

I need a LH release because my left shoulder is not good and has limited range, I cannot reach back with it to slip through the webbing. I think two marine snaps would be my best solution, aka, Voit Snug Pack and similar old style packs that used snaps or twist locks to provide easier egress.

TN, yes, I think you are right to leave a slightly longer shoulder loop so the rig sets a little lower. Does the wing lift on you are does it stay secure to your back?

AWAP, how did your plate hold up with all the diving and walking?

N

TN, yes, I think you are right to leave a slightly longer shoulder loop so the rig sets a little lower. Does the wing lift on you are does it stay secure to your back?

N

N

It might ride up a little, but I have a 1" crotch strap installed, so it stays in place. Crotch strap has a small loop for the waist strap that can't get past the buckle, a quick disconnect, no scooter ring and I really don't know it is there except when trying to find it when donning the rig. I think it is useful since the 18# wing needs to be fully inflated on the surface to keep me out of the water in rougher seas and using it keeps the wing/plate in perfect position for laying on my back.

TN

I don't think the keepers on my travel plate are serrated. They slipped with mine several times, I think it is the softer webbing material that caused this to happen, which cannot happen now that I installed the metal keepers to lock the webbing.

AWAP, how did your plate hold up with all the diving and walking?

N

I looked at your picture and couldn't see your keepers but thought they might not be serrated. I have some fairly soft webbing on mine (what I had on-hand) and mine lock tight. You might see if Oxycheq can/will fix yours if they are not serrated.

My rig held up great once I fixed the pull dump valve failure. Still looks new except for some of that damn soft webbing that is fraying a little at the shoulders where it rubbed against my wetsuit. When I replace it, it will be stiff webbing.

Hey, y'all have to forgive me, I am getting old and my brain is full up, my shoulder keepers are serrated. Still, they slipped but not with the addition of the extra keepers. Sorry for the confusion.

TN, right you are yet again, an eighteen pound wing will not lift very much, must be carefull about what you carry or you will find it not lifting your head up---lol. My old Dacor Sea Chute dual bladder horsecollar had less than fifteen pounds lift on the main bag, more than once I ran out of lift with heavy cave rigs. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom