OxyCheq - Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And while I am spamming questions, how does this rig compare to the Oxycheq O-Pack?

So I think I'd like to try cutting slots in my current wing before spending $250 on a new wing. Any advice on how to do this before I take a knife to it? My thought was to use a hot utility knife on the inner canvas of the wing, taking care to avoid cutting into the pocket where the bladder is. Am I nuts for wanting to attempt this? I've tried a search on the best way to do it but haven't really found much help.

So I think I'd like to try cutting slots in my current wing before spending $250 on a new wing. Any advice on how to do this before I take a knife to it? My thought was to use a hot utility knife on the inner canvas of the wing, taking care to avoid cutting into the pocket where the bladder is. Am I nuts for wanting to attempt this? I've tried a search on the best way to do it but haven't really found much help.

I have not tried that but have done a number of other equipment mods so I'm not afraid to cut a bit. I'd go a bit on the large size on the slots to minimize any stress and give the edges a coat or 2 of aquaseal to prevent any tearing. Then just keep an eye on it and the aquaseal handy if it does start to tear.

Burn the edges with a small soldering iron.

N

Well, I went ahead and sliced and diced my beloved Oxycheq Mach V, and now it has camband slots in it. I lined them up so the straps could go through the webbing piece on the Ultra Lite plate, not through the slots. It was actually FAR easier to do than I'd imagined. I tried the setup with both the soft STA, and no STA. Stability seemed pretty similar, in that the tank still flopped around a bit, similar to what it did when I had my SS STA hooked in. I'm guessing the fact that I'm stooping over trying to rock around a 30# tank (or whatever it weighs) above water has something to do with it, and that under water it wouldn't be a problem, but I guess I'm just used to the rock solidness of my SS plate I dive with. I'm hoping to try the rig out in the pool in early November.

You can also seal the edges with super glue.

N

OK,a quickie - without re-reading the hwole thread - is the "speed harnass" of a different guage to the regular Oxycheq webbing? I have some webbing already, and it is an absolute PITA to get it to fit (I can't actually see it being adjustable at all, it is so tight).

Not that it really matters - Ellen did not have any stock of sex bolts yet, and couldn't find any to use as a substitute. So I guess I'll be finishing off my rig when I am back in aus (Currently in the Philippines).

Oh well, I guess I have someting to look forward to when I get home...

Z...

I'm guessing that the speed harness must be a bit softer or thinner than the stiff webbing I used. The stiff stuff certainly doesn't slide very well, so I just fixed mine in place where I wanted it.

Did my first trial run of the plate in the pool on Saturday with my 30# mach V. I used the soft STA as well, with both my HP100 steel tank and a borrowed AL80. With both tanks, it was completely stable underwater. I may try in a couple weeks without the STA to see if there is any difference.

HP100 only had 1000psi in it. I used 6# of weight because 2 3# weights was the least I had. It seemed like it MIGHT have been a tad heavy, but this was in fresh water so that may work out just right in salt water, maybe a touch more. I put the weights in pockets on the waist strap, and it trimmed out well.

AL80 was full, and I used 8# of weight, 4# in each pocket. To keep the tank trimmed out without it hitting me in the head, I put a small ankle weight on the valve. I'm going to go with Aldora down in Mexico, which uses steel, so I probably won't play much more with the AL tanks.

Very happy with the plate though, fits great and trimmed out well.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom