Oxycheq Mach V vs. DSS ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spschneer:
I "THINK" I prefer access because of TS&M's comment earlier about the pinch-flat and the ability to self-repair...I'm not too sure how common that is, but if it happens at all, I sure would prefer to be able to fix without a trip back to the manufacturer...

What do y'all think( for Round 2:D)?

Steve

Do you plan to carry with you a spare bladder, the necessary tools, and the requisite knowledge to change a bladder?

While it true that some minor bladder damage may be possible to repair in the field, robust wing construction should make such minor damage an uncommon event. Ballistic nylon shells and heavy gauge inner bladders do just that.

Larger slits require replacement of the bladder, and given that very very few divers carry either the tools, or a spare bladder these are not often repaired in the field anyway.

Keep in mind that most BC's and many many wings offer no access to the inner bladder. Many are built using a single layer of fabric laminated to a layer of urethane. These BCs / wings are welded shut and there is effectively no access to the inner layer of urethane.

If zippered access is of paramount importance to you DSS offers narrow, streamlined singles wings with and without zippered access.

Tobin

TSandM was able to repair her own DSS zippered wing without having to pack it up and pay for shipping back to the factory. I'ts a lot easier to replace it yourself or, have it done at a LDS, than having to ship it. I've patched small holes in my DR wing at night at the hotel and used it the next day.

evad:
TSandM was able to repair her own DSS zippered wing without having to pack it up and pay for shipping back to the factory. I'ts a lot easier to replace it yourself or, have it done at a LDS, than having to ship it.

Evad,

You can play the same "one note samba" as long as you choose to. I've been completely forthright describing the pro's and con's of zippered vs non zippered.

The fact remains that many many divers, and a surprising number of dive shops, will choose to return a wing to the factory to have the bladder replaced, regardless of whether there is a zipper or not.

If you have a local dive shop that is ready willing and able to conduct your repairs in a timely fashion you are fortunate. Many divers do not. They will get faster, and more complete service from the manufacturer. It is seldom faster or easier to return goods to the LDS, who often eventually return them to the manufacturer that it is to simply ship them direct.

evad:
I've patched small holes in my DR wing at night at the hotel and used it the next day.

Are these wings built using ballistic nylon shells and heavy gauge inner bladders? If they were it's much less likely that you would have been patching anything.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Evad,

You can play the same "one note samba" as long as you choose to. Tobin

As can you. Tuba on dude, tuba on.

It would seem that if a damaged wing were a concern then the hands down winner is the armored Mach V Extreme.

The heavy materials that both DSS and OxyCheq use would seem sufficient even without an armored external bag. But, some people can damage anything, they will just have to work a little harder with the Extreme.

Is this a three round Olympic match or a full professional length fight, I may have to lay back and rope-a-dope some so I can finish strong, conserve my strength.

N

Nemrod:
It would seem that if a damaged wing were a concern then the hands down winner is the armored Mach V Extreme.

The heavy materials that both DSS and OxyCheq use would seem sufficient even without an armored external bag. But, some people can damage anything, they will just have to work a little harder with the Extreme.

Is this a three round Olympic match or a full professional length fight, I may have to lay back and rope-a-dope some so I can finish strong, conserve my strength.

N

This is extreme.

Just had a customer that bought a Vertex Dual Bladder/Dual Inflator Extreme Wing from a dealer in NY. He saw the video on the 14000+ razor knife strikes and decided to take the wing to his local gun range. From 200' distance with a 22 cal. rifle, he shot it five times and reported not even a scratch. He was so impressed, he posted it on "rebreatherworld".

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

Patrick:
This is extreme.

Just had a customer that bought a Vertex Dual Bladder/Dual Inflator Extreme Wing from a dealer in NY. He saw the video on the 14000+ razor knife strikes and decided to take the wing to his local gun range. From 200' distance with a 22 cal. rifle, he shot it five times and reported not even a scratch. He was so impressed, he posted it on "rebreatherworld".

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
Holy $@*#

evad:
It's a good question, don't you think? ASSUMING everything else is equall, bladder access is a major difference.

Maybe, but everything else isn't equal. I'm pretty sure the torus wings use a thicker bladder material than the LCD, the idea being that the increased puncture resistance makes bladder repair less likely.

Keep in mind that the easiest self repair would be on a bladderless wing; just patch the outside. Wouldn't work on a big tear or seam failure, though! I don't even know if they make bladderless wings like some jacket BCs.

These wings are pretty tough and unless you're squeezing through some tight sharp metal holes in wrecks, playing darts underwater or re-enacting scenes from James Bond movies, chances of a bladder failure are pretty slim. At least on your wing...

xiSkiGuy:
Holy $@*#

Certainly off subject, but the same guy also bought a Solus 1250 LED canister light --- like the one I smash on the table and throw 70' in the yard. He dropped it from three stories onto a concete slab --- of course, it was still working.

My own customer's are upstaging me. I only wish he videoed it.

Regarding patching wings ---- most holes are pinch flats. Pich flats are easily repaired if you have access to the bladder.

OxyCheq has the thickest bladder in the industry --- 25 mil. It would be rare that someone would have to patch it, but it has happened and that possibility does exist.

If I was on vacation at a resort or live a board, it would be nice to be able to make the repair then instead of using an alrenate buoyancy system.

A 360 loop wing and 360 loop zipper allows you not only to patch anywhere on the wing, but it also allows you to inspect the clear, uerthane bladder.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
---

Back
Top Bottom