Oxycheq Mach V vs. DSS ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm, only one of the 5 wings got a hole in 140 dives, so that does not mean 1 hole/140 dives, it means statistically a 20% chance of a hole in 140 dives, or (statistically) 1 hole in 700 dives.

Yes, that is more accurate.

Somehow I think if she were diving an oxycheq wing, you would not have done the math this way!

That is correct. Also, I would have said the wing had x amount of dives on it as opposed to throwing in other wings.

I also did not state that most wing holes require the repair to be made by the mfg when in fact, most wing holes are pinholes that are easily repaired by the diver.

While on that subject, it is much easier to find and repair a hole on a 360 loop wing (with zipper) than a U shaped wing (with zipper) because you have access to the majority of the bladder and in most cases, you would not even have to use a BC tool to repair the pin hole.

Both you guys build great products; it's too bad you're always at each other's throats. Of course, with a thread titled "DSS VS Oxycheq" I guess I should expect some sparring.

I simply do not think a single wing with the elbow in the center or a wing with an internal bladder is a great wing design and I have pointed this out before. I think they are such bad ideas that it is insulting to me that someone suggests that they are comparable.

If you truly believe that no zipper is better than a zipper, or an elbow in the middle of a single wing is better mousetrap, defend it.

I have pointed out many feature and material differences between the two, they are not comparible unless you are talking in simple terms that they are both desgined to provide buoyancy.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
---
http://oxycheq.com

I definately prefer to have my inflator dump smack in the corner of my Mach V as a corner is much more effective at catching anything so it's easier to "put" the air there to dump. It seems like if it were in the middle, it would a little more vague where the air was. It would also interfere with my down-pointing first stage. If the Mach V had the inflator dump in the middle, I wouldn't have bought one.

Weird enough, the inflator elbow in the center of the wing is a selling point for me. Fits perfectly between my two first stages:
http://www.inet.hr/~astancin/dss/yvalve2.jpg

But then again, I'm absolutely clueless where the air is at any given moment, further more, I don't even attach my own regs to the tank, other people do it, I just dive while somebody holds my hand. :eyebrow:

Weird enough, the inflator elbow in the center of the wing is a selling point for me. Fits perfectly between my two first stages:
http://www.inet.hr/~astancin/dss/yvalve2.jpg

But then again, I'm absolutely clueless where the air is at any given moment, further more, I don't even attach my own regs to the tank, other people do it, I just dive while somebody holds my hand. :eyebrow:

That looks very handy, but definately would not work very well with my single first stage. What's that danged zipper doing there?

Okay, to clarify: I have had a pinch flat in a DSS wing. I didn't patch it, I replaced the bladder. I have had a hole in a different kind of wing, which wasn't a pinch flat but a traumatic injury caused by the owner. It was patched. The patch came off. I didn't put the patch on, and don't know what adhesive was used. It failed, which leaves me with a slightly less than enthusiastic reaction to patching wings.

I have a DSS wing with the inflator in the middle of the top, and it's never interfered with my first stage. I don't have any problem venting the wing. I also have a doubles wing with the takeoff on the left upper corner. I don't have any problems venting that one, either. I think a lot of these things are really matters of -gasp- personal preference :)

Okay, to clarify: I have had a pinch flat in a DSS wing. I didn't patch it, I replaced the bladder. I have had a hole in a different kind of wing, which wasn't a pinch flat but a traumatic injury caused by the owner. It was patched. The patch came off. I didn't put the patch on, and don't know what adhesive was used. It failed, which leaves me with a slightly less than enthusiastic reaction to patching wings.

Pin holes are about the easiest thing to patch. You have successfully patched a hole in latex seals on a dry suit, so you shoudl be able to use those same techniques for patching a bladder. I have confidence in you. :) Of course, in order for this to be a simple repair, you do need access to the bladder.

I have a DSS wing with the inflator in the middle of the top, and it's never interfered with my first stage. I don't have any problem venting the wing. I also have a doubles wing with the takeoff on the left upper corner. I don't have any problems venting that one, either. I think a lot of these things are really matters of -gasp- personal preference :)

Not all regs have the same size of shape. These are things the mfg must consider when making a wing. On our doubles wings, we put the elbow in the center because it is further away from the regs. We off center them slightly with our dual bladder/dual inflator.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
---
http://oxycheq.com

What shop? Bermuda Triangle? When did you start selling Oxycheq?
Yep, Bermuda Triangle in Greenville, SC. We started carrying Oxycheq this spring.

Yep, Bermuda Triangle in Greenville, SC. We started carrying Oxycheq this spring.

After I took a drysuit class there in may?

After I took a drysuit class there in may?
Yes, I recall I used my Vertex 55 at least once before the May 18 trip to MHC. We sold our initial order pretty quickly, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom