OW Checkout dives this weekend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webbah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yeah - I'm excited! Can't wait! However - being that we're in the NW and it's really cold with wind chills to be sub-zero this weekend - anybody have any pointers on how to keep warm between our 2 dives? Our instructor said we're gonna be all business due to the weather and pretty much just switch out tanks and get back in the water - so I'm guessing 5-10 minutes on the surface. But any pointers for those 5-10 minutes?

Are you diving dry or wet?

If you are diving dry, I've found it critical to get my hood off and get a warm hat on. I like to unzip my drysuit and drop the top of it and put a heavy down jacket on my torso instead (warmer, because it is dry). I always have hot water available to put my hood and gloves in so that they won't be ice-cold when I put them back on. I have hot fluids available to drink during SI. But the absolute best way to get warm and stay warm during SI is to GET INSIDE. Some of our local training sites have fairly close food service businesses where you can get a warm drink and get out of the cold (Cove 2, the Junkyard).

I don't have any good ideas for diving wet because I've never been that brave.

Be careful -- it is NOT good to get back in the water if you are already shivering.

Good luck with your dives. And I thought the weather when I got certified was harsh!

I'm assuming you are diving wet. Bring plenty of warm water to prime your suit pre-dive and to repleninh heat as you get out of the water and before getting back in. If you can throw a big towel or old coat on to limit the evaporative cooling you will loose less heat. If you take care of yourself out of the water then in the water will be the most comfortable part.

Look back n the New England forum for a thread about diving wet in cold water/cold weather.

Pete

if wet:

immediately towel your suit of water and wrap yourself up in a good coat and get a hat on

keep the wind from hitting your wetsuit or you will be miserable

Reschedule your dives. I'm from MN and I wouldn't do it. But we still have some lunatics diving Lake Superior since it didn't freeze over this year. I bet no wet suit divers though.

DaveDog:
Reschedule your dives. I'm from MN and I wouldn't do it. But we still have some lunatics diving Lake Superior since it didn't freeze over this year. I bet no wet suit divers though.

Nah - my instructor is a very safe diver - I trust his judgement - if he says we dive - then we dive.

I didn't mean you couldn't do it safely. Just wouldn't want to endure the cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom