OW Certification on the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lalaw

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been lurking around here for a while, and thought I'd jump in for some advice. I did a search, but didn't find much.

My fiance and I are headed to the Big Island the week following Thanksgiving. I'm an AOW certified diver, but have been out of the loop for a couple of seasons now. She is totally new.

I am looking for recommendations for a dive center where she can get OW certification (on the Big Island) over a couple of days. I might consider joining her for portions as a refresher as well.

Any thoughts?

Also can anyone comment on what equipment I should bring with me? I was thinking of just bringing my BC and regulator and renting the rest. Not sure what mm suit I should bring, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Leonard

Aloha and welcome. All the shops are good. Jacks has there own pool but there are plenty of shops doing OW in nice calm spots too. 3mm full suit is best all around. Typicaly people with there own gear bring everything except tanks and lead. Your not real saving money by renting part of the gear. Don't miss the manta dive, easy dive for any level of skill and it is awsome!

My daughter and I did our referral dives in Kona this summer. We did it with Mike at Dive Makai. They may have a 2 person minimum. The best thing was there were only the two of us in the class, so we were able to take care of the skills and then have plenty of time to just dive and get comfortable. Here's the link:

http://www.divemakai.com/

Wildcard:
Aloha and welcome. All the shops are good. Jacks has there own pool but there are plenty of shops doing OW in nice calm spots too. 3mm full suit is best all around. Typicaly people with there own gear bring everything except tanks and lead. Your not real saving money by renting part of the gear. Don't miss the manta dive, easy dive for any level of skill and it is awsome!

I second that recommendation. I got certified with Jack's Diving Locker www.jacksdivinglocker.com a few years back. I enjoyed the people, the diving, the experience. The manta ray dive is awsome, though be ready for a little bit of surge (not too bad). They have a policy of shallower guided dives= more bottom time, since all the good stuff's shallower than about 60ft. anyway= great for beginners and those looking for leisurely dives without worrying much about their no-deco limits. Just an all-around good diving experience. It is a bigger op, but they're great with beginners.

I was in Kona a few weeks ago, diving with Sandwich Isle Divers, and saw that they had a single person on board who was getting certified. The other divers had their own D/M ( seemed like all of us were in the 200+ dive range) and the student had his own D/M/Instructor as well. They even let the students friend spend some time with him during the underwater part of the Instruction. Highly reccommend Sandwich Isles for ease, professionalism and just plain fun.
DiverDonn

When I asked around my diver friends – who do I go to? – the most common reply was Jack’s and liked what I saw/felt when I interviewed them (so to say, and I talked to all) and BOWed at Jack’s. I recommend them without hesitation but also without any experience with the other operations. Not being any water baby I think the pool was a huge benefit, rapidly establish comfort underwater.
At the time I went for group lessons thinking more people = increased opportunities to learn from others. In retrospect I’d go for private for more specific attention to my personal strengths and weaknesses. It also would be easier to get the class done in 3 days and allow you to join in for a refresher. Along that line, my first inclination would be to check with Steve at Wanna Dive (friscuba here). Although with Kona being a diving destination I believe all the Ops cater mainly to vacationing divers. I’m still undecided who or where to go for more classes. Nothing against Jack’s at all, haven’t been out with any crew yet I didn’t really like. Friendly, eco-aware, concerned with out being restrictive, very helpful when asked and take delight in sharing their knowledge and experience. Just wanting to broaden my local experience, there are 3 contenders.

As for gear, unless I thought it was questionable I’d bring my own, just fussy ole me. I’d rather lug that heavy awkward excellent gear around than wish I had. Definitely my beloved wetsuit if it was a 3ml. If you want to shore dive, and there are good and easy shore dives, send weights in a USPS flat weight Priority box for $8.10. If you just want to boat dive, tanks and weights are included.

Just to clarify, I did not recomend Jacks, I just offered the fact that they have a pool. Im sure they are good but I have not gone out with them so I can not recomend them. I reserve that for those that I have gone with, and are good. Avoid Kohala Divers.

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for the replies. Took a look at Jack's and others, and I think we are on the right track.

Because of the short duration, we are looking for a 3 day course. So far, I've contacted Wanna Dive and Big Island Divers, but unfortunately, Wanna wasn't able to accommodate.

That said, has any one had experience with Big Island Divers? Seemed very friendly over email.

Thanks again!

(Disclaimer: I boat with Jack’s because I get Kamiana rates as a former student and they have a really good deal with Club Dives, so it’s hard to pay twice as much elsewhere when I’m happy with them.)

I’ve only heard good things about Big Island and had very good experience in their shop beginning back when I needed my hand held to snorkel out to the ALOHA at City of Refuge LOL. I wouldn’t hesitate to dive with them myself. I spoke with a couple of their instructors last year and felt very good about them. www.bigislanddivers.com in case you haven’t found the site.

I think after talking to Chuck today I’m going to www.diveteckhawaii.com for my next training.

Hawaiian Scuba Shack is a low on the overhead expense kinda place. Got my tanks there until Jack’s had a can’t be beat killer deal on fill cards. And they are near the airport if you happen to be staying somewhere North of Kona. Jay Smith is on my Instructor choice list ( scubashack@aol.com is on his business card) but had some mixed results with other staff about gear (excellent to I knew a whole lot more than them and I thought I was a geek.) 808-331-8708 If you google Hawaiian Scuba Shack there is some info but I’m not finding a specific website.

Back
Top Bottom