OW Certification in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buster1dog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We're headed back to the Big Island in April 2013. Staying near Kona.
My wife is hoping to get her SSI or PADI OW cert while we're there.
She would complete the e learning portion before we arrive.

Can I get some recommendations for great Instructors in and around Kona?
Anyone who has recently been certified on the Big Island and wants to share their experience would be really helpful.

Cheers
Jay

My recommendation is to get certified at home.

You won't waste vacation time learning to dive, you'll actually be diving. Also, you'll dive at home and become a great diver and enjoy diving year-round. Otherwise, you'll only dive on vacation and have a very tough time improving.

Kona has lots of great diving and you and your wife will have a great time.

Kona Diving Company would be my choice. I did not take a class with them, but I have been on the boat when they were doing classes. She can take the classroom work online and do her confined and open water dives in Kona.

Fisheater, Thanks for the reply.

I agree that getting her cert here at home would be the best way to go. But...
She just doesn't do cold and has no interest in diving up here.
She is a good snorkeler. We always plan our holidays around skin diving for us and diving for me.

Kona has awesome diving! Boat and shore.
Can't wait to get back in the water there.

Hey Maine Diver, Thanks for the recommendation of Kona Diving Company. They look like a great operation. I like the PowerCat. Great diving platform. It looks like all of the OW ocean dives are from the boat. Nice.

She may opt for private instruction so that scheduling isn't an issue and that would give her the very best possible situation to learn the skills.

It's not so easy getting an idea of how good a company's instruction/training aspect is. Most online reviews are focused on the boat diving trips or how nice or not the retail shop is.

I appreciate all responses to this query. This is a great place to dig for info.

Cheers

Last edited:
Yes all diving is from the boat. They are a great op. Kerry the owner is on the boat most every day. She takes the time to get to know her divers and students. She does a great job of splitting up the groups according to skill level. My niece was a brand new diver and they did a refresher course for her and monitored her very closely on every dive. I was extremely impressed with the way they worked with her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom