Overly Dramatic Title: The Curse of The Most Experienced Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fall into the "I only show the card needed for the dive" crowd. I also carry a solo card and play that on needed occasions.

Flash a GUE card, your good and legal :).

Maybe some experience outside of cattle boats would help.

If a group of 4 in a cavern or 6-8 on a boat is a cattle boat, I guess I'm guilty as charged.

What is this line stuff?

Cavern/cave diving.

This is one of those times where making sure everyone knows how experienced you are and how many c-cards you have makes you a victim of something you have done to yourself - so stop bragging! :D

kidding :wink:

Anyway, I carry one card on trips it's a tec card that shows I am at least AOW and can use nitrox. That's it...never a problem.

Here's the funny thing: I can't remember the last time I showed ANY certification card. When I fill out the paperwork (on the rare occasion it's given to me to fill out) and it asks for certification number, I DO put my PADI pro number without level because it's the only one I have memorized. I usually leave certification level blank unless I'm diving EANx.

The other problem is for ocean dives, my usual buddy is still relatively new. Her skills are surprisingly good for the level/number of dives she has, but she's still new. So for the most part, solo diving isn't really an option.

I tend to dive with the same operators, maybe they just remember me working through the ranks over the years. Or maybe they're googling me when they see the email I'm using to book with :)

I tend to like diving with guides since it's their job to know where all of the cool stuff is, but maybe it's time to talk my buddy into getting a little away from the group going forward. Or just spend more time in caves where I'm the least experienced person :wink:

Are you getting paid to provide these services?

If you're not getting compensated, then just tell them thanks but no thanks. You're there for vacation, not for work.

So it's fairly common that when I'm on vacation, I'm the most experienced diver second to the guide. Even if someone is there who has more dives, they usually let me fall into the pit due to my instructor level.

This means I'm last in line through caverns, I'm last in the water, last onto the boat, and occasionally am asked to surface with other divers who are low on air when I'm planning on surfacing with more than the guide.

I don't mind any of this 99.99% of the time.

I also shoot photos and videos and know that we have a bad reputation for getting in the way of all the cool marine life. But since I'm the most experienced diver and am last in line, I can't really dominate the marine life.

In fact, since I'm last in line, silt is kicked up more, the halocline is stirred up more, and the marine life has been scared away.

I get to dive enough that this doesn't really bother me, but some times being last gets old.

What does anybody else do? Do you just deal with being last or do you lie about experience so you're not the most experienced?

As a dive professional, I don't mind being the courteous guy who says, "Oh no, after you" and I understand the logistics of having the most experienced person bring up the rear, but I'd like to see the cool stuff too :)

Are you getting paid to provide these services?

If you're not getting compensated, then just tell them thanks but no thanks. You're there for vacation, not for work.

Definitely not getting paid. I think it's mostly two parts for me:

1. Most places I dive with are places I went diving with when I was still working on my DM/OWSI, and back then I volunteered as much as I could.
2. I have a hard time saying no.

When someone asks, "Hey, would you mind keeping an eye on this person, I have my hands full with this other person", my natural inclination is just to say "Sure!". And while part of me thinks not having even mild responsibilities is hurting my dive, the reality is that it's just my nature to keep an eye on everyone/everything anyway, so I'm not sure I can really change any of it.

Perhaps I just need to try some new dive ops that don't know me, maybe that'll help.

"Buy split fins and stitch a Master Diver patch to your hat.

Even better? Get it as a tattoo.

You'll be fine."

Holy crap, I've done both those things! Well, I never wear that cap around other divers and actually I won the fins at a treasure hunt.

Where'd you get the tattoo?

Perhaps I just need to try some new dive ops that don't know me, maybe that'll help.

As I said before, I think you need to try some new ops, whether they are ones that know you or not. There must be a reason some people (like me) never experience this but you are always experiencing this. Try branching out to new locations, too. Once you go to new places and get better experiences, try letting the old ops know why they lost your business.

Saying "no" is very difficult for a lot of people, especially if you think the person asking will get mad/upset/whatever. Most of the time, you'll find they wont and you will feel better after. Just say no.

Unless she's cute, then you're screwed :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom