Overly Dramatic Title: The Curse of The Most Experienced Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a boat sometime ago where the lowest cert was the DM. 6 trimix instructors, 2 trimix divers and a DM.The charter and the DM was under the impression we only had OW as that was all we gave them. However after a 60 min rec dive and various attempts to get us to surface the DM had to surface (OOA). Ten minutes later we started to surface and we all played dumb wanting to know why he left us "alone". This is still the funniest thing I have ever witness on a boat.

Show what you need to in order to dive, anything additional is over-sharing.

What did the DM do to get you to surface?

Give them your AOW card.
No law against not revealing your level of cert.

CamG

Actually you're SUPPOSED to represent yourself at the highest certification level. That being said, I also know several instructors that show their AOW card too when they're on holiday. Im in the same boat too, as an instructor I often get asked to help with the group which I don't mind. But then again, I haven't been doing this nearly as long as you have. If it got to a point where it was affecting the quality of my diving, I would speak up to the Divemaster in charge. "Hey man, I don't mind helping out but Im on vacation and this is my only change to 'fun dive.' Would it be cool if I go with another group for this dive?" They HAVE to back off because you are a paying customer. At least, that's what I would do.

Wheres the rule/law saying you are to present the highest qualification you have rather than the minimum required?
If I where an instructor on vacation and didnt want extra responsibility, I would NOT give them the instructor card..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

On the rare occasions that my husband and I go on the types of trips where the group follows the leader, he will often use the excuse that he is teaching me a class. He won't lie about it. He will just use a specialty that I'm interested in learning that works for that dive and that won't interfere with our enjoyment of the trip.
I realize this doesn't work when you're solo and taking pictures but just thought I'd throw it out as an idea.
Most of the time we just chose small boats or boats that allow independent diving so that we can dive without following the group. ( CA style, I guess)

Wheres the rule/law saying you are to present the highest qualification you have rather than the minimum required?
If I where an instructor on vacation and didnt want extra responsibility, I would NOT give them the instructor card..

Just to repeat my absolute amazement at this concern. I have been showing a professional card for about a decade now, and I have never had anyone made anything close to a request that I take on extra responsibility, and I have nearly always gotten some level of benefit from showing that card. I am just mystified by people who claim that being saddled with bad dives happens whenever you present a professional card when my experience has been totally opposite of that.

But those of you who believe that is true, please, please, please keep on showing a beginning level card. That means that if we are ever together in a dive location and the operator separates customers by ability, there will be fewer people with me in the highly experienced group while you are filling out the numbers in the beginning group on the beginning dives.

Actually you're SUPPOSED to represent yourself at the highest certification level.

I have never heard or seen that before. Certainly there is nothing in PADI about it.

Is being asked to help the newbies is a N. American/ no DM in the water kind of thing? I have never had it happen to me- nor have I seen other guides asking experienced divers to babysit beginners in NZ, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Djibouti, Egypt or the Maldives.

It's insulting to ask paying guests to do this IMO.

In a 'situation' I would be happy to help out, but I would never plan my dive taking a leadership role- even if they paid me money. My vacations are too few and far between for that.

Just to repeat my absolute amazement at this concern. I have been showing a professional card for about a decade now, and I have never had anyone made anything close to a request that I take on extra responsibility, and I have nearly always gotten some level of benefit from showing that card. I am just mystified by people who claim that being saddled with bad dives happens whenever you present a professional card when my experience has been totally opposite of that.

But those of you who believe that is true, please, please, please keep on showing a beginning level card. That means that if we are ever together in a dive location and the operator separates customers by ability, there will be fewer people with me in the highly experienced group while you are filling out the numbers in the beginning group on the beginning dives.

John,

You are not the only one. Never had an issue. Of course I always research the operator I will be using and tell them when corresponding what levels we are at and the types of diving my wife and I like to do (and do not like to do).

I know several instuctors whos had this happened to them (mostly in asia) and I do find it quite rude to request such things of paying customers.
When it comes to "the noob boat" youre not automatically there by showing an aow, md or even ow card and there certainly is other non-professional certs to show, like deco procedures, cave etc.
Hell Ive seen DMs that should have been on "the noob boat". Theres more to go by than what card you show on check in..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

When you present your professional credentials remind them that by definition a professional is someone who is paid for services provided.

Actually you're SUPPOSED to represent yourself at the highest certification level.

Sounds like a job for the Scuba police! Once they have finished arresting all those OWDs who descend below 60' of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom