Overkill, but fun :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for nourishment -- perhaps that carb-gel stuff that marathon runners eat/drink/swig/whatever would work... it comes in a similar container to the CapriSun drinks.

If your going to do this try it a few times on dry land. It does have a tendancy to upset your stomach and also needs liquid to follow it to help it absorb.

Tim,
Congrats on 500!!!

I've heard a little about those guys from my bosses, I think they mostly go East out of Kahilui Harbor, not upper West Side.:)

You're right, they do leave from Kahului harbor. I've been out with them when they head out right and left (or east and west respectively). My favorite dive was a deep sea pinnacle near Kahakuloa (upper west side). So they'll go where ever you want...

But what I was trying to say is the owner Todd is a tekie and into fun dives, long dives and scooter diving. Might be a good dive buddy for Tim on one of his marathon dives.

I hear from Todd though, that one doesn't get as cold on rebreather dives, as when diving open circuit... anyone else experience this?

Yes you stay much warmer on a rebreather. Air is 98.6 degrees.

Yes you stay much warmer on a rebreather. Air is 98.6 degrees.
Since you are recycling your exhalation, the gas you breathe is warmer than the gas straight from a tank (and not as dry). Unless the water your diving in is near 98 deg the gas from the counter lung will not be that warm.:shakehead:

Since you are recycling your exhalation, the gas you breathe is warmer than the gas straight from a tank (and not as dry). Unless the water your diving in is near 98 deg the gas from the counter lung will not be that warm.:shakehead:

New to the board. Just thought I'd weigh in here. The chemical reaction in the scrubber of a rebreather is exothermic and scrubber bed temps hover around 114 degrees. The gas in the loop (especially in HI) is much higher than the surrounding water temp and still higher that your body temp as dwell time in the counterlungs or lung depending is not sufficent to cool the gas that much. And yes we do dive the upper west side! Thanks SCUBA DIVE MAUI:D

Tim,

A 5 hour dive with a 3mm wetsuit. I think you'd get a little cold after a while.

Any hoo, I've done the CapriSun on many dives. No air in the package, don't need to worry about anything but putting the straw in and sucking. I usually keep my thumb over the straw top while cruising around.

I've never tried bananas but I have taken hotdogs with me. Same deal. I remember once I found a caramelized hotdog in my BCD because I had forgotten to take it out and then put my BCD in storage for the winter. It was kind of funny.

Chris

anyone know what the record is for the longest dive?

I saw this guy try to do it in a dunking tank on the "ripley's believe it or not" show but he got overheated. they added ice into the tank and he was showing signs of hypothermia so they took him out.

I was thinking maybe a cave diver has set the longest(time) dive record...maybe Sheck Exely or someone on the wkpp?

Back
Top Bottom