Overfill of Aluminum Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fact that this tank is said to be rated at 3300 psi is already and exactly 10% over a standard 3000 psi (the only pressure I've ever seen on aluminum dive tanks).
Perhaps this is where the so called 10% overfill lies.
But even still,if you can only fill to 3300 for one year that sorta stinks.
Also the requirement to change to DIN at 1 year makes no sense at all.
On my HP100's the valves are yokes :(
They are and have always been rated at 3300 psi.
I suppose that one could increase bursting disc rating and pump them up to higher pressure. This IMHO is not wise, as 3300 psi is close to pushing the safety limit for a
yoke type valve because of the O-ring may fail.

PerroneFord:
There is no "+" rating system for Alum or HP steel tanks. This was just bogus.
What do you call 3180+ Faber steels? Mid pressure?

But yeah, don't overfill Al tanks. Much.

xiSkiGuy:
What do you call 3180+ Faber steels? Mid pressure?

But yeah, don't overfill Al tanks. Much.

Yes. Medium Pressure. DOT doesn't start HP until 3400 or something like that, if memory serves. Actually, its the high density steel that makes the difference I believe, not the actual pressure rating.

PerroneFord:
Yes. Medium Pressure. DOT doesn't start HP until 3400 or something like that, if memory serves. Actually, its the high density steel that makes the difference I believe, not the actual pressure rating.
It is 3500psi. Thus all the tanks that barely skirt that number: Worthington X series, PST E series, and Faber FX series are all 3442psi. Faber also makes 3180+ = 3498psi. When most people in the US refer to HP Steel tanks they are talking about the above tanks, not the 3500psi Genesis tanks, etc. that require a different valve.

Yeah, jellyfish has it right (now). Forget the DIN thing unless you feel your regulator yoke won't handle the pressure. That 100 cf tank is one big chunk of metal. I wouldn't have any problem, personally, with filling it to 3500. There is a lot of bull going around that aluminum tanks are not "stretchy", are "different", etc. It goes back to the exploding aluminum tanks of yesteryear and Luxfer's response, alibis basically, one of which was that customers were "overfilling" the tanks. You would have to fill that 100 alu to 8000 psi to blow it. Bauer makes condensators of the same or similar alloy and rates them for 80,000 fill cycles.

Brewone0to:
The fact that this tank is said to be rated at 3300 psi is already and exactly 10% over a standard 3000 psi (the only pressure I've ever seen on aluminum dive tanks).
Perhaps this is where the so called 10% overfill lies.
But even still,if you can only fill to 3300 for one year that sorta stinks.
Also the requirement to change to DIN at 1 year makes no sense at all.
On my HP100's the valves are yokes :(
They are and have always been rated at 3300 psi.
I suppose that one could increase bursting disc rating and pump them up to higher pressure. This IMHO is not wise, as 3300 psi is close to pushing the safety limit for a
yoke type valve because of the O-ring may fail.

Every AL 100 I ahve seen are rated at 3300 period, no over fill, its just the rated pressure, same as a lot of other AL tanks such as the Neutral 80, its jsut 3300, no over fill.

I've never seen a plus on a 3442 tank.

PerroneFord:
I've never seen a plus on a 3442 tank.
Who said there was one?

I said there was no plus rating for HP steels, you cited the 3180+ fabers which are not counted as HP as far as I know by DOT. Thus the only HP steel tanks I am aware of are the 3442s. Thus my comment holds, that there is no plus system for HP steels.

Back
Top Bottom